Rachael Townsend Best Community Service
In 2009 the University of Michigan implemented the Rachael Townsend Best Community Service (BCS) Award to create excitement and award excellence in community service amongst our student-athletes. Teams are awarded points based on the number of service hours they participate in. The competition runs from September through March and hours are tallied several times throughout the term. Computing points for serving the campus and local community has given our student-athletes a sense of pride about taking care of Ann Arbor and contributes to making their presence more felt in the area.
Congratulations to Men's Lacrosse and Rowing, our 2012-13 Rachael Townsend BCS Award winners!
2011-12 Rachael Townsend BCS Award Winners
• Men -- Men's Swimming & Diving
• Women -- Rowing
2010-11 Rachael Townsend BCS Award Winners
• Men -- Baseball
• Women -- Volleyball
2009-10 Rachael Townsend BCS Award Winners
• Men -- Football, Baseball
• Women -- Water Polo, Field Hockey
• Overall -- Water Polo
Michigan Outreach Programs and Opportunities
• "From The Heart" Visits: Weekly Thursday night visits to Mott Children's Hospital.
• MSHARE: Student-athletes can visit elementary school classes Monday through Friday anytime during school hours to read, tutor and spend time being positive role models for the kids.
• Michigan Buddies: A year-long mentoring program within the Ann Arbor Public School System that match elementary students with student-athletes.
• Lunch with a Wolverine: Student-athletes enjoy answering questions and leisure time with elementary students over lunch.
• Adopt-A-Classroom: Teams or student-athletes can adopt one classroom to consistently make a Michigan Difference by reading, tutoring, and being positive role models for the kids.
• Mock Rock: Annual charity variety show run entirely by SAAC and student-athletes. For more information on Mock Rock, click here.
• Super Athlete Field Day: Special education field day with the Tom Wall Foundation.
• U-Meet the Athlete: KidSport presents mini clinics featuring Michigan Athletic programs. More Information
• Adopt-A-Family: Raise money to buy gifts for the Athletic Departments holiday family.
• Bowl-A-Palooza: Partnership with the Kidney disease foundation to help fundraise through bowling. (Nov. 6 - 8 p.m. at Colonial Lanes)
U-M in the Community Photo Gallery