What is an extra benefit?
Fans and boosters may not provide anything to prospects or currently enrolled student-athletes (or their families) without prior approval from the Compliance Services Office. If a student-athlete and/or his or her family accepts any benefits of special consideration (e.g., transportation, clothing, money, meals, etc.) based on his or her athletic skill, the student-athlete will lose his or her eligibility and Michigan will be subject to NCAA penalties.
Extra benefits can include, but, are not limited to:
- Money, gifts, clothing, tickets for entertainment, haircut, and use of a car.
- Free or reduced-cost room or board anywhere.
- Free or reduced-cost merchandise or services.
- Use of Athletics Department copy/fax machines, long distance telephone services or free use of a cell phone.
- Typing or editing reports, papers, letters, etc. for a student-athlete.
- A loan of money or the consigning of a note to arrange a loan.
- The sale or trade of complimentary admissions for merchandise, services or debt repayment.
- The sale or trade of ANY items a student-athlete has received for his or her participation in athletics (e.g., gear, clothing, awards).
This list is not exhaustive. Please refrain from offering prospects and/or current student-athletes and their families and friends anything that is not available to all students or the general public.