Boosters, Alumni and Fans
Thank you for your continued tremendous support of Michigan Athletics. Michigan's responsibilities related to the NCAA and Big Ten regulations extend beyond entities within the Athletics Department. Your adherence to all applicable NCAA rules and regulations is essential as we strive to continue to be the "Leaders and Best!"
Please explore this website to learn more about NCAA rules and regulations that effect you as a booster, alumni or fan.
Follow us on Twitter @umichcompliance.
Like us on Facebook at MichiganCompliance.
Here is a list of the Top 10 Things You Need to Know:
- ALWAYS ASK BEFORE YOU ACT! Breaking NCAA rules can render prospects and student-athletes ineligible for competition. The NCAA holds the university accountable for the actions of its fans and friends.
- You MAY NOT make recruiting contacts with prospects, their relatives or legal guardians. A prospect is a student who has started classes for the 9th grade (7th grade for men's basketball) or above. This prohibition includes written and telephone communications.
- You MAY NOT contact a prospect's coach, principal, or counselor in an attempt to evaluate the prospect.
- You MAY send newspaper clippings and other information about talented prospects to the designated coaching staff. Also, you MAY continue established relationships with friends and neighbors whose children are prospects or current student-athletes, provided the relationship pre-dates reaching prospect status and is not based on their status as an athlete.
- You MAY attend high school or junior college competitions provided no contact occurs with the prospect or the prospect's relatives.
- You MAY NOT entertain any coach from a junior or senior high school, preparatory school, or junior college or provide them with tickets or any other type of benefit.
- You MAY NOT become involved in arranging for a prospect, a current student-athlete or their family to receive gifts, money or financial benefits of any kind.
- You MAY NOT provide transportation to a prospect, student-athlete or their friends and family. Also, you MAY NOT spend funds to entertain prospects, student-athletes or their friends and family.
- You MAY employ a student-athlete provided you are paying them only for the work they actually perform, paying the going rate for similar services, are not paying them or providing perks based on their status as a student-athlete and the employment has been approved by the Compliance Services Office.
- You MAY NOT use a photo or name of a student-athlete for commercial purposes or sell student-athlete memorabilia.
If you have questions whether you are considered a booster of Michigan Athletics or if you have questions about what you may or may not do as a booster, please feel free to contact the Compliance Services Office at (734) 615-7341.