All student-athletes who wish to work MUST receive prior approval from the Athletics Department. Student-athletes must contact Shareef Amer in the Ross Academic Center, Room 1320 (734-764-7849) prior to starting employment.
Student-athletes are permitted to earn income through legitimate employment opportunities.
A student-athlete may receive employment compensation:
- Only for work that is actually performed and useful in nature;
- Only for the number of hours actually worked;
- At a rate commensurate with the going rate for similar services in the area.
A student-athlete may NOT receive:
- Payment for value that he or she brings the employer because of publicity, reputation, fame or personal following because of his or her athletics ability;
- Transportation to work or other benefits, unless the same benefits are available equally to all employees.
NCAA rules permit student-athletes to be employed on a fee-for-lesson basis under the following prescribed conditions:
- Fee-for-lesson employment may NOT take place in an institutional facility;
- A student-athlete must actually provide skill instruction; "playing lessons" are not permissible;
- Compensation must be paid by the lesson recipient or the recipient's family and not another outside individual or entity;
- Payment must be at the going rate for such services in the area;
- A student-athlete may not use his or her name in promoting or advertising the lesson.