Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund
The NCAA provides institutions with the use of annual funds for student-athletes' special or emergency needs. The Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund (SAOF) is managed by the Compliance Services Office and is not included when calculating permissible grant-in-aid or cost-of-attendance figures.
Student-Athletes wishing to request funds from SAOF should contact their coach or sport administrator, who can initiate a request for funding. Submitting a request does not guarantee that the request will be fulfilled.
Permissible uses of the fund may include:
- Clothing and/or travel from campus to home and other essential expenses.
- Academic course supplies (e.g., notebook and pens) and books or equipment which are recommended but not required for all students enrolled in the course.
- Medical and dental costs not covered by another insurance program.
- Costs associated with student-athlete or family emergencies. Air travel arrangement may be handled through athletics for cost benefit purposes.
Non-permissible uses of the fund:
- Institutional grant-in-aids for student-athletes (tuition, fees, books, room and board) during the academic year.
- Capital Improvements
- Outside athletics development opportunities for student-athletes (camps or clinics, private instruction, etc.)