Phyllis Ocker Field Hockey Field
RENOVATED: 2003, 2014
SURFACE: AstroTurf 12
FIRST GAME: Sept. 8, 1995 (U-M 2, Delaware 1)
Phyllis Ocker Field received a complete makeover after the close of the 2013 season, with renovations to provide fans with a cozy viewing environment that establishes the field as one of the nation's elite sites for competition.
Additions to Ocker Field include a new 13,000-square-foot team support building, field lights, video scoreboard and a fan plaza, featuring restrooms, concessions, ticket and marketing booths and expanded seating accommodations. U-M inserted an impressive 1,500-seat grandstand on the north sideline, tripling the capacity of the field that has hosted numerous sellout crowds over its tenure.
The team building was built on the footprint of the South Ferry Field Locker Room building (1997) and houses locker rooms for players and coaches, training facilities with hydrotherapy pools, coaches' offices, team and coaches' meeting space, an expansive press box and broadcasting booth and a home for game day operations.
Ocker Field also received a new playing surface in 2014 with the installation of a blue AstroTurf 12 synthetic turf system. Called a "Global" system, AstroTurf 12 is a knitted nylon system designed to provide uniform traction and consistent footing. It improves playability when it is wet and absorbs water to maintain wet conditions longer. It is the most widely accepted and desired surface for field hockey in the world.
Ocker Field is named for former University of Michigan teacher, athletics administrator and field hockey coach Phyllis Ocker and was formally dedicated on Oct. 8, 1995. Ocker directed the Wolverine field hockey program through five of its early seasons (1974-78). She also served as the University's third director of women's athletics (1977-90) and was a member of the 1973 Burns Committee that developed the architecture for the Wolverines' women's varsity sport programs.
The Ocker Field site is one of historical significance in Michigan athletics. The field hockey facility is built partially on the site that was home to Regents Field from 1893-1905. Michigan's famous early 20th Century "Point-A-Minute" and national champion football teams of coach Fielding Yost played at Regents Field, later called South Ferry Field when athletic teams began competing at other venues.
Ocker Field is the fifth home site for Michigan field hockey. The Wolverines played at Michigan Stadium (1973-75), Ferry Field (1976-86), the Tartan Turf (1987-90) and Oosterbaan Fieldhouse (1991-94) before moving to Ocker Field for the 1995 season. Michigan played its first game at Ocker Field on Sept. 8, 1995, beating Delaware 2-1. The field itself was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1995.
Ocker Field is located off South State Street, south of Schembechler Hall and Glick Field House.
Address and Directions
Phyllis Ocker Field 1202 S. State St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Parking information can be found in the Information Guide.