Michigan Comeback Falls Short in Home Loss to Indiana

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- On the day that the University of Michigan retired former men's basketball All-American Phil Hubbard's jersey, Indiana University, U-M's nemesis during Hubbard's freshman season, played spoiler again. Indiana, which beat the Wolverines three times in 1975-76, including once in the NCAA championship game, fought off a valiant comeback by the 2003-04 Wolverines in the final minutes of the second half to post a 59-57 win Sunday afternoon (Jan. 11) in front of 13,328 fans at Crisler Arena.


Robinson greeted the day's honoree, Phil Hubbard, prior to the contest, then scored a team-leading 16 points.

The Wolverines (10-3, 1-1 Big Ten) slashed a nine-point Indiana lead to two in the final two minutes, but a game-tying attempt by senior Bernard Robinson Jr. (Washington, D.C./New Hampton Prep, N.H.) in the final seconds fell just shy and gave IU (7-6, 1-1 Big Ten) its first Big Ten win of the season.

Robinson led U-M with 16 points and six rebounds, while freshman Dion Harris (Detroit, Mich./Redford HS) collected 15 points, including three triples. Marshall Strickland led three Indiana double-digit scorers with 14 points and five assists.

Both teams got off to a sluggish start in the opening minutes, as each squad struggled to find its offensive touch. Despite early foul trouble, the Wolverines were able to jump out to an early lead by holding Indiana to just one point in the first five minutes. Freshman Courtney Sims (Roslindale, Mass./Noble & Greenough School) put Michigan on the scoreboard with a short turnaround jumper at 18:06, and Robinson followed with a runner on the fast break. A free throw at 16:19 gave IU its first point, but sophomore Lester Abram (Pontiac, Mich./Northern HS) answered with a tough jumper to put the Wolverines ahead 6-1 nearly four minutes into the contest.

The Hoosiers came back with three quick triples to take a 10-6 advantage, but another basket from Robinson and a three-pointer from Harris allowed U-M to regain a one-point lead with 11:58 left in the half. Indiana continued its hot shooting, scoring six of its next eight points from behind the arc to take an 18-11 lead. After a timeout, Michigan climbed back to within one point thanks to a 6-0 run. Robinson began the spurt with his third bucket, freshman Brent Petway (McDonough, Ga./Griffin HS) hit a nice one-handed shot in the lane, and a basket from Harris cut the IU lead to 18-17 with 6:59 to go until the break.

Indiana closed the half with an 11-2 run over the remaining seven minutes. A put-back basket from Robinson would be the only points the Maize and Blue could manage the rest of the half, as the Hoosiers went into the locker room with a 29-19 lead.

Robinson led U-M at halftime with eight points and four rebounds, while Strickland and Roderick Wilmont had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Hoosiers. The rim was unkind to both squads in the first 20 minutes, with Michigan shooting 9-of-32 from the field and Indiana going 11-of-32. The Hoosiers hit six first-half triples, compared to one from U-M, and had a 25-18 rebounding advantage in the first frame.

IU opened the second half with a quick hoop from A.J. Moye to increase its lead to 12 points, but Robinson responded with a bank shot on the other end of the floor. Indiana would go on an 8-2 run over the next few minutes to take a game-high 16-point lead with 16 minutes left in the game. A layup from senior/junior J.C. Mathis (Brooklyn, N.Y./John F. Kennedy HS) spurred a 6-2 surge and brought Michigan back within 12 points. The teams exchanged baskets over the next several possessions, as Indiana held on to a 48-36 lead with 11 minutes left.

The Wolverines stormed back within five points after a 7-0 run. Robinson and sophomore Daniel Horton (Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill HS) combined for all seven points during the three-minute span, with Horton's first hoop of the game cutting the IU lead to 48-43 with 7:27 remaining. A basket from Sean Kline gave Indiana its first points in over four minutes and put the Hoosiers back up by seven points.

Michigan continued to chip away at the Indiana lead, with Harris drilling two more triples and Horton knocking down two more to cut the deficit to 55-50 with 3:38 to go. Kline scored four of his six points in the next minute to give IU a nine-point advantage with just over two minutes left. U-M's next two possessions resulted in four straight points from Abram, and Horton's runner in the lane trimmed the Indiana lead to two points with 54 seconds left and forced the Hoosiers to call a timeout. IU was called for five seconds on the ensuing inbound pass, setting up Michigan's final attempt at the tie.

The Wolverines will have six days off before traveling to East Lansing, Mich., to take on intrastate rival Michigan State Saturday (Jan. 17) at the Breslin Center. The game will be televised by CBS and will tip off at 3:45 p.m.

Contact: Tom Wywrot (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan men's basketball season tickets for the 2017-18 season.