Michigan Drops Overtime Barn Burner at Minnesota

Feb. 19, 2017

What You Need to Know
» D.J. Wilson hit a three-pointer with two seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime, and he hit another one to bring U-M within one with 11 seconds left, but Michigan's comeback efforts came up short.
» The game remained extremely close from wire to wire, as there were 18 lead changes and eight ties. Minnesota held the largest lead of the game of eight points with 2:54 remaining in regulation.
» Michigan had five players in double figures, led by Wilson and Derrick Walton Jr. with 16 each, while Moritz Wagner (15), Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman (14) and Zak Irvin (10) also added double digits.
» Michigan led Minnesota 18-9 in points off turnovers and 12-3 in fastbreak points, while the Gophers outscored the Wolverines 19-0 in second-chance points.

Box Score

Site: Minneapolis, Minn. (Williams Arena)
Score: Minnesota 83, Michigan 78 (OT)
Records: U-M (17-10, 7-7 B1G), MINN (20-7, 8-6 B1G)
Next U-M Event: Wednesday, Feb. 22 -- at Rutgers (Piscataway, N.J.), 6:30 p.m. [ TV: BTN ]

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- D.J. Wilson hit a three-pointer with two seconds remaining in regulation to send the game to overtime, but the University of Michigan men's basketball team's comeback efforts came up just short in an 83-78 loss at Minnesota on Sunday evening (Feb. 19) inside Williams Arena.

Wilson and Derrick Walton Jr. led Michigan with 16 points each, with eight of Wilson's points coming in the final 20 seconds of regulation and overtime. Moritz Wagner and Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman were right behind them with 15 and 14 points, respectively, while Zak Irvin added 10.
After a low-scoring first half, Minnesota held a 29-27 lead to start the second half. The Gophers went up five early in the half, but Michigan clawed back to take a 40-37 lead on an Irvin pull-up jumper in the paint with 15 minutes left.

The teams then traded runs, as Minnesota hit back-to-back triples and the Wolverines answered with seven unanswered points to take their largest lead of the night, 47-43, with 11:54 left. Minnesota maintained a small lead over the next five minutes, but Wagner kept it close, scoring six of U-M's next seven points, and the Gophers led 55-54 with 6:30 on the clock.

Free throws were the name of the game for Minnesota during the next three minutes, as seven of its next nine points came from the charity stripe. The Gophers then took their largest lead of the game, 68-60, with 2:54 left in regulation on a rare four-point play from Nate Mason.

Consecutive steals by Walton and Wagner turned into four quick fastbreak points, and Walton added an old-fashioned three-point play to make it a three-point game, 70-67, at the 1:04 mark. After a Wilson bucket and a pair of free throws from Minnesota made it 72-69 Gophers with 12 seconds left, Wilson nailed a three-pointer from downtown with two seconds on the clock to send it to overtime.

Early in overtime, an Abdur-Rahkman triple gave the Wolverines a quick one-point lead, 75-74, but Minnesota regained the lead for good with 2:03 left. Wilson came up big again, hitting another deep three from the top of the key to bring U-M within one, 79-78, with 11 seconds remaining. In an attempt to get the ball back, Michigan was forced to foul down the stretch, and Minnesota was 4-for-4 from the line to seal the 83-78 win.

With Michigan leading 5-4 at 16:10 of the first half, after a fadeaway jumper from Wilson, the Wolverines hit a cold spell and did not convert another field goal until the 10:08 mark. U-M's only points during that stretch came from the free throw line, and the Gophers went on an 8-2 run to take a 12-7 lead with 10:24 remaining.

Wagner ended the drought with back-to-back three pointers and then Wilson threw down a dunk on an assist from Duncan Robinson to put U-M up three with 9:13 remaining in the first half. The quick 7-0 run for the Wolverines came in just 55 seconds.

There were five lead changes and the game was tied twice in the final eight minutes of the opening stanza. With the Maize and Blue up two with two minutes on the clock, Minnesota outscored Michigan 6-2 down the stretch to give the Gophers a 29-27 lead at the halftime break.

Overall, the game was extremely close from wire to wire, as there were 18 lead changes and eight ties. Tonight's game is the only regular-season meeting between the Wolverines and Gophers and marked Michigan's first loss to Minnesota in the last 10 match-ups.

Tweet of the Game

The Wolverines will have a quick turnaround before their next game on the road, traveling to Piscataway, New Jersey, to take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Wednesday (Feb. 22) at 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised on BTN.

Communications Contact: Tom Wywrot

»  Learn about Michigan men's basketball season tickets for the 2017-18 season.