Wolverines Knock Off Top-Seeded Purdue in Overtime Thriller

March 10, 2017

» There were 18 lead changes and 14 ties during a closely contested game. Neither team led by more than four points in the second half, and U-M took a five-point lead, its largest of the game, in overtime.
» Zak Irvin scored six of his 13 points in the final seconds of regulation and overtime to help U-M advance to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals for the second straight season and seventh time in program history.
» D.J. Wilson scored 18 of his 26 points in the first half and finished just shy of a double-double, adding eight rebounds.
» Michigan will face Minnesota in the semifinals tomorrow (March 11) at 1 p.m.

Box Score | Photo Gallery 
Postgame Report Video icon

Site: Washington, D.C. (Verizon Center)
Event: Big Ten Tournament (Quarterfinals)
Score: Michigan 74, #13 Purdue 70 (OT)
Records: U-M (22-11), PU (25-7)
Next U-M Event: Saturday, March 11 -- vs. Minnesota - Big Ten Tournament Semifinals (Washington, D.C.), 1 p.m. [ TV: CBS ]

• Kornacki Postgame Feature: How Wilson Led Wolverines Over Purdue in OT

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The University of Michigan men's basketball team kept its Big Ten Tournament run alive, upsetting top-seeded Purdue (No. 13 AP, No. 12 ESPN/USA Today), 74-70 in overtime, in the first Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal Friday afternoon (March 10) inside the Verizon Center.

Michigan is now 3-2 against ranked opponents this season, including a pair of wins over Purdue, as U-M defeated the Boilermakers, 82-70, during the regular-season meeting between the two teams on Feb. 25.

D.J. Wilson led Michigan with 26 points, 18 of which came in the first half, on 11-of-18 shooting. Zak Irvin scored six of his 13 points in the final seconds of regulation and overtime. Derrick Walton Jr. and Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman also finished in double figures with 12 and 10 points, respectively. Wilson grabbed eight rebounds and had three blocks, while Irvin and Abdur-Rahkman each pulled down seven boards.

With the game tied for the 13th time, 61-61, with two and a half minutes to go, Purdue hit a three pointer to go up by three. Wilson brought Michigan within one, 64-63, as he grabbed a loose ball outside the arc and drove to the rim at 1:33. The Boilermakers went up by three once again, scoring with 33 seconds left in regulation, and then Wilson went 1-for-2 from the charity stripe to bring U-M within two, 66-64. Purdue missed the first shot of a one-and-one situation, Wilson grabbed the rebound, and Irvin drove hard to the rack and scored the game-tying layup with four seconds on the clock. Wilson blocked Purdue's potential game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.

In extra time, Irvin kept it rolling, scoring on two more hard drives to the basket to make it 70-67 with less than two minutes to play. Purdue called timeout with 49 seconds left and missed a three-point attempt out of the huddle. Walton drained a pair of free throws with 20 seconds left, giving the Maize and Blue its largest lead of the game, 72-67. The Boilermakers made it a game, hitting a triple with two ticks on the clock, but Duncan Robinson was intentionally fouled on the inbound and converted both free throws to secure the 74-70 win.

Through the first 10 minutes of the game, Michigan led by as much as four points and trailed by as little as two. Wilson helped the Wolverines keep it close in the early going, scoring six of U-M's first eight points. Overall, Wilson (8) and Walton (7) combined for 15 of Michigan's first 20 points. The Maize and Blue held a 20-18 edge with 10:30 to go, following six lead changes and four ties.

Out of the second media timeout, Purdue went on a 14-3 run, with Isaac Haas (5), Carsen Edwards (5) and Caleb Swanigan (4) accounting for those points, and the Boilermakers took their largest lead of the day, 32-23, with 4:44 to go in the opening half.

Wilson then took the reins, scoring 10 of the game's next 12 points, including consecutive three-pointers. Abdur-Rahkman sank a pair of free throws, and Robinson added a triple to close out a 15-2 Michigan run. That run gave the Wolverines a brief four-point advantage until P.J. Thompson beat the halftime buzzer with a halfcourt shot to make it a one-point game, 38-37, at intermission.

The first half alone featured 10 lead changes and six ties. Wilson dropped 18 points on 8-for-11 shooting, while Walton had 10 points in the first half.

The second half was an even closer affair, as neither team led by more than three points in the first 10 minutes. Irvin hit a triple at the 12:17 mark to tie the game at 48, and then both teams hit a dry spell, going more than three minutes without a field goal. Moritz Wagner, who was struggling from the floor and with foul trouble, hit three key free throws during that span to give the Wolverines a 51-49 edge with 10:39 left.

Abdur-Rahkman broke the spell at the 8:55 mark, as he took Swanigan off the dribble from the top of the key for a 53-49 Michigan lead. Abdur-Rahkman gave U-M a three-point edge, adding four more points in a 33-second span, and Wilson drew a crucial charge to stop Purdue from gaining momentum.

Tweet of the Game

The Wolverines will now face Minnesota, a 63-58 quarterfinal winner over Michigan State, in the Big Ten Tournament semifinal round tomorrow (Saturday, March 11) at 1 p.m. inside the Verizon Center. It will mark U-M's second straight trip to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals and seventh appearance in program history.

Communications Contact: Tom Wywrot

»  Learn about Michigan men's basketball season tickets for the 2017-18 season.