Cold Shooting Dooms Wolverines Against Georgetown

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's basketball team suffered its first home loss of the season on Saturday (Dec. 30) dropping a 67-51 decision to Georgetown in front of a sellout crowd at Crisler Arena.

The Wolverines (12-3) were able to get open looks during the entire game, but were unable to convert from the field as they shot 36.4 percent for the game posting season lows for field goals made and attempted. Untimely turnovers and second half foul trouble also cost the Wolverines as the Hoyas (10-3), who shot 52.3 percent for the game, were able to capitalize on Maize and Blues mistakes throughout the game.

The Wolverines were led by senior Dion Harris (Detroit, Mich./Redford HS) who finished with a team-high 16 points after a strong 9-for-10 showing at the free throw line. He also added two rebounds, three assists and one steal in 34 minutes of action. Freshman DeShawn Sims (Detroit, Mich./Pershing HS), who started his second straight game, posted his second straight double-digit scoring game with 10 points against the Hoyas. He also added three rebounds in 18 minutes of action.

After winning the opening tip, the Wolverines struck first with an up-and-under jumper from Sims, but Georgetown struck back with two quick scores. The Hoyas took an early 10-4 lead in the first five minutes of the game as they capitalized on three early Wolverine turnovers.

Senior Brent Petway (McDonough, Ga./Griffin HS) snapped the drought with a free throw line jumper to cut into the deficit, but the Hoyas extended their lead to 14-6 as they hit two more inside buckets off of a pair Michigan turnovers. The Maize and Blue began a small rally after a Sims free throw; sophomore Jerret Smith's (Romulus, Mich./Romulus HS) running jumper and freshman Ekpe Udoh's (Edmond, Okla./Santa Fe HS) tip-in bucket cut into the Hoya lead, and the Wolverines trailed 16-11 with less than eight minutes left in the half.

The Hoyas heated up from the outside as they hit a pair of triples to jump back to a 22-13 lead. Georgetown extended its lead to 11, 29-18, after a putback bucket from Roy Hibbert. To close out the half, Harris found his shooting rhythm in the final three minutes as he hit five free throws -- and a half-ending three-pointer -- to help the Wolverine cut the lead to six, 31-25 at halftime.

The Hoyas opened the second half with an 11-0 run, and used three triples to expand their lead to 17-points, 42-25, forcing the Wolverines to call a time out three minutes into the half. A pair of steals and an alley-oop dunk from Petway stopped the Hoyas run, and the Wolverines stayed hot with a Smith triple. But Georgetown continued to hold strong as they regularly answered Wolverine buckets, and the Hoyas maintained their 12-point lead with 12 minutes to go in the half.

It was much of the same throughout the rest of the game as every Michigan basket would be countered by Georgetown on the other end. The Hoyas slowed down the pace and held on to a double-digit lead throughout the remaining second half.

With the non-conference season completed, the Wolverines turn their attention towards Big Ten play as the Maize and Blue open the 2007 conference season against Illinois Wednesday (Jan. 3) at Crisler Arena. The game is scheduled for an 8 p.m. tipoff and will be part of the ESPN-Plus package.

Contact: Tom Wywrot (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan men's basketball season tickets for the 2017-18 season.