ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's basketball program announced it has received a National Letter of Intent from 6-10 forward Ekpe Udoh of Edmond, Okla.., for the upcoming 2006-07 season.
With the signing of Udoh, the Wolverines now have four additions to the roster next season after DeShawn Sims, a 6-8 forward from Detroit, Mich., and K'len Morris, a 6-4 wing from Grand Blanc, Mich., signed during the early signing period in November and 6-6 forward Anthony Wright from Sterling, Va., previously signed during the spring signing period.
Udoh, who averaged 12.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in his career, was a three-year starter for Coach Guy Hardaker at Santa Fe High School. During his prep career, he was a two-time All-State selection, two-time All-Edmond Basketball Team selection, a two-time Metro Conference Defensive Player of the Year and two-time All-Metro first team member.
As a junior, Udoh averaged 11.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game which helped Santa Fe to the Class 6A State Championship. Prior to the start of his senior season, Udoh had surgery on his right shoulder, which kept him out of 10 games, but he came back to average 15.4 points. 9.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks. He led Santa Fe to the semifinals of the Class 6A State Championship and the No. 1 team ranking in the state of Oklahoma.
The Wolverines lose seven players from their 2005-06 roster, as Amadou Ba, Graham Brown, Hayes Grooms, Sherrod Harrell, Daniel Horton, Chris Hunter and Troy Sanchez all concluded their Michigan careers this past season. After a medical redshirt, Lester Abram will return for a fifth-year in 2006-07.
Forward, 6-10, 240, Edmond, Okla. (Santa Fe High School)
Honors and Awards
- Oklahoma McDonald's All-State team (2006)
- Team selected by high school coaches
- Class 6A All-State (2005, '06)
- Metro Conference Defensive Player of the Year (2005, '06)
- All-Metro Conference, first team (2005, '06)
- All-Edmond Basketball Team, first team (2005, '06)
- All-Star team selected from five Edmond area high schools
- All-City, first team (2005, '06)
- Daily Oklahoman, first team (2005, '06)
- Texas/Oklahoma All-Star Game selection
For prep career, averaged 12.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks
- Coached by Guy Hardaker at Edmond Santa Fe High School
- Three-year starter
As a senior (2005-06), averaged 15.4 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks per game
- Had shoulder surgery Aug. 5, 2005 for torn muscle in right shoulder
- Led Santa Fe to 21-6 record and No. 1 team ranking
- Led Santa Fe to semifinal of Class 6A State Championship
- Lost semifinal game against Putnam City, the eventual Class 6A State Champion
- Defeated Enid in Class 6A State quarterfinal game
- Lost to Norman North in Class 6A quarterfinal seeding game and Area final (63-60, in triple overtime)
- Defeated P.C. North in regional final
- Defeated Yukon in regional semifinal
As a junior (2004-05), averaged 11.0 points, 12.0 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks
- Led Santa Fe to 25-4 record
- Led Santa Fe to Class 6A State Championship
As a sophomore (2003-04), averaged 11.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks
- Led Santa Fe to 20-6 record
- Led Santa Fe to quarterfinal of Class 6A State Championships
As a freshman (2002-03)
- Played freshman basketball for most of the season
- Suited up for varsity basketball in January, did not play in the playoff rounds
First name: "Epp-Ay"
Last name: "You-Doe"
Wright Signing Gives U-M Additional Recruit for 2006-07 (4/13/06)
Morris, Sims Sign with U-M During Early Signing Period (11/9/05)
Contact: Tom Wywrot (734) 763-4423