ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's basketball program announced it has received a signed tender of financial aid from 6-1 guard Reed Baker of Fort Myers, Fla., for the upcoming 2006-07 season.
With the signing of Baker the Wolverines now have five additions to the roster next season. DeShawn Sims, a 6-8 forward from Detroit, Mich., and K'Len Morris, a 6-4 wing from Grand Blanc, Mich., signed during the early signing period in November, and 6-6 forward Anthony Wright from Sterling, Va., and 6-10 forward Ekpe Udoh from Edmond, Okla., signed during the late signing period.
Baker, who averaged 20.1 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists in his career, was a three-year varsity letterwinner for Coach Matt Herting at Bishop Verot High School in Fort Myers, Fla., where he was a three-year starter. He was named the Southwest Florida Association of Basketball Coaches Mr. Basketball (2006), a two-time Florida Sports Writers Association Class 3A All-State first team (2005, '06), a two-time News-Press All-Area Southwest Basketball Player of the Year (2005, '06), a two-time News-Press All-Area first team (2005, '06) and was awarded the Rotary Scholar Athlete Scholarship (2006).
The Wolverines lose seven players from their 2005-06 roster, as Amadou Ba, Graham Brown, Hayes Grooms, Sherrod Harrell, Daniel Horton, Chris Hunter and Troy Sanchez all concluded their Michigan careers this past season. After a medical redshirt, Lester Abram will return for a fifth-year in 2006-07.
Guard, 6-1, 175, Fort Myers, Fla. (Bishop Verot High School)
Honors and Awards
- Southwest Florida Association of Basketball Coaches Mr. Basketball (2006)
- Florida Sports Writers Association Class 3A All-State first team (2005, '06)
- The News-Press All-Area Southwest Basketball Player of the Year (2005, '06)
- The News-Press All-Area first team (2005, '06)
- Awarded the Rotary Scholar Athlete Scholarship (2006)
For prep career, averaged 20.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.5 steals
- Coached by Matt Herting at Bishop Verot High School
- All-time leader in scoring and assists at Bishop Verot
- Three-year varsity starter
As a senior (2005-06), averaged 22.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.6 steals
- Shot 47 percent from the field, 39 percent on three-point field goals and 84 percent on free throws
- Led Bishop Verot to 22-7 record
- Led Bishop Verot to Region 3-3A championship game against St. Petersburg Catholic
- Had 26 points, seven rebounds and two assists in 64-60 loss
- Had 15-of-29 games scoring 20-plus points, including four games with 30-plus
- Had a season-high 33 points against Belen Jesuit (Feb. 3, 2006)
- Third among all-area players in three-point field goals (63 total)
- Fourth among all-area players in scoring (496 total points)
As a junior (2004-05), averaged 23.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.6 steals
- Shot 48 percent from the field, 39 percent on three-point field goals and 86 percent on free throws
- Led Bishop Verot to 22-6 record
- Led Bishop Verot to Region 3-3A semifinal game against St. Petersburg Catholic
- had 23 points, four assists, three rebounds, two steals in 68-60 loss
- Led all-area players with 23.4 points per game (631 total points)
- Second among all-area players in three-point field goals (58 total)
- Had 21-of-28 games scoring 20-plus points, including four games with 30-plus
- Had a season-high 38 points against Key West (Feb. 12, 2005)
As a sophomore (2003-04), averaged 14.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.3 steals
- Led Bishop Verot to 22-4 record
- Led Bishop Verot to District 3A-11 game against Dunbar, had nine points in 65-42 loss
- Had seven games scoring 20-plus points
- Had season-high 24 points, three times C Charlotte (Dec. 6, 2003), Immokalee (Feb. 3, 2004) and Gulf Coast (Feb. 13, 2004)
As a freshman (2002-03), averaged 20.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists
- Played junior varsity basketball
- Led Bishop Verot Junior Varsity to 20-2 record
Udoh Signing Gives U-M Fourth Commitment for 2006-07 (5/9/06)
Wright Signing Gives U-M Additional Recruit for 2006-07 (4/13/06)
Morris, Sims Sign with U-M During Early Signing Period (11/9/05)
Contact: Tom Wywrot (734) 763-4423
Join the season ticket interest list for priority access to 2015-16 Michigan men's basketball tickets.
Sign up for Michigan Insider to be the first to learn about 2015-16 Michigan men's basketball ticket opportunities.