Wolverines Unable to Put Away Penn State in Four-OT Loss
Devin Funchess

Oct. 12, 2013

Box Score | Notes | Photo Gallery  | Player Participation | Highlights video icon
• Postgame Interviews: Coach Hoke video icon | J. Ryan & F. Clark video icon | D. Gardner & J. Gallon video icon

Site: State College, Pa. (Beaver Stadium)
Score: Penn State 43, #18 Michigan 40 (4OT)
Records: U-M (5-1, 1-2 Big Ten), PSU (4-2, 1-1 Big Ten)
Attendance: 107,884
Next U-M Game: Saturday, Oct. 19 -- vs. Indiana (Michigan Stadium), 3:30 p.m.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The University of Michigan football team (No. 18 AP, No. 16 USA Today) was unable to hold on to a lead with less than a minute left in regulation and was outlasted by Penn State, 43-40, in four overtimes on Saturday night (Oct. 12) at Beaver Stadium.

A two-yard rushing touchdown by PSU running back Bill Belton gave the Nittany Lions the win after Michigan kicked a field goal on the first possession of the fourth overtime period.

Senior/junior quarterback Devin Gardner (Detroit, Mich./Inkster) totaled 361 yards and three total touchdowns, while junior defensive end Frank Clark (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville) recorded two sacks and recovered two fumbles, including one he returned for a touchdown.

The teams traded interceptions in the first quarter, with U-M's coming from sophomore safety Jarrod Wilson (Akron, Ohio/Akron Buchtel). Penn State's INT resulted in the game's first touchdown.

However, U-M responded in a hurry, as Gardner found sophomore tight end Devin Funchess (Farmington Hills, Mich./Harrison) for a 59-yard catch-and-run touchdown at 8:19 of the opening quarter.

Michigan then took the lead following fifth-year senior Brendan Gibbons' (West Palm Beach, Fla./Cardinal Newman) 47-yard field goal.

The Nittany Lions outscored U-M, 14-0, in the second quarter, thanks in part to two U-M turnovers, and carried a 21-10 lead into half.

On the first play from scrimmage of the second half, sophomore linebacker James Ross III (Orchard Lake, Mich./Saint Mary's Prep) forced a fumble that Clark returned 24 yards for a TD.

A few minutes later, junior cornerback Raymon Taylor (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) notched his second pick of the year in Penn State territory, setting up a 23-yard Gibbons FG.

Penn State then stretched the lead to four (24-20) with a 45-yard field goal.

A 16-yard TD catch from fifth-year senior wideout Jeremy Gallon (Apopka, Fla./Apopka) -- his first since he recorded three earlier this season against Notre Dame (Sept. 7) -- returned the lead to U-M.

That lead became 34-24 after Gardner found Funchess from 34 yards out with 10:28 to play in regulation.

A Penn State field goal brought the score back within seven at 34-27, and despite the Wolverines running the clock down to the one-minute mark, a delay-of-game penalty forced U-M to punt with a short field.

The Nittany Lions used three long passes and a sneak to tie the game with just 27 ticks left.

U-M had a chance to win it on a 52-yard try by Gibbons with a few ticks left, but it fell short.

Michigan won the toss and chose to begin the first overtime on defense, which forced PSU to a miss a field goal, but Gibbons' 40-yarder was blocked.

In OT two, the teams traded field goals, forcing a third overtime -- only the third in program history.

Clark recovered a fumble on the first Penn State play, but Gibbons' sixth attempt of the night, from 33 yards, sailed wide left.

The Wolverine offense opened with the ball, but a false start forced U-M into a long and unsuccessful third down, forcing U-M to settle for a 40-yard field goal.

Penn State's winning score followed a successful rush on fourth-and-one and a third-down pass interference call on Michigan, putting the ball on the Wolverines' two-yard line.

Michigan will next play host to Indiana next Saturday (Oct. 19) at 3:30 p.m. on the Big Ten Network.

Contact: Justin Dickens, Zach Eisendrath (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about ticket packs and individual game tickets for the 2017 Michigan football season.