Michigan Cannot Hold Early Lead, Falls at No. 9 Western Michigan
Alex Guptill

Jan. 25, 2013

Notes & Quotes | Boxscore Get Acrobat Reader | Highlights Video icon

Site: Kalamazoo, Mich. (Lawson Arena)
Score: #9 Western Michigan 3, Michigan 2
Records: U-M (8-15-2, 5-12-2-2 CCHA), WMU (15-6-4, 11-4-2-1 CCHA)
Attendance: 4,205
Next U-M Event: Saturday, Jan. 26 -- at Western Michigan (Kalamazoo, Mich.), 7:35 p.m.

KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team's season of missed opportunities continued Friday night (Jan. 25) as the Wolverines lost to Western Michigan, 3-2. It was U-M's first loss in Kalamazoo since 2003.

The Wolverines started off with great pressure and dominated the first 10 minutes of the game, scoring both their two goals and taking a 2-0 lead. Cristoval 'Boo' Nieves (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) set up Phil Di Giuseppe (Maple, Ontario) for the Wolverines' first goal at 4:10. Nieves sped through the middle of the ice and dropped the puck to Di Giuseppe, who scored his fifth goal of the season and his third in the last six games.

U-M then scored on a power play less than two minutes later as Alex Guptill (Newmarket, Ontario) made it 2-0 with U-M's 14th power-play goal of the season. Andrew Copp (Ann Arbor, Mich.) and Kevin Lynch (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) received the assists. It was Guptill's sixth point in his last five games.

After that, Western that scored three unanswered goals. Goals by Trevor Elias at 11:01 and then a seeing-eye goal from the point by Jordan Oesterle at 18:59 tied the game at 2-2 in the first period.

WMU did not score again until the 16:01 mark of the second period when Colton Hargrove took a pass from the corner and one-timed it into the net. Lee Moffie (Wallingford, Conn.) was draped all over Hargrove but did not have his stick when the winning goal was scored.

While there were no goals in the third period, it was not because of the lack of chances. Guptill had a breakaway backhand shot go wide early and then followed it up with a turnaround wrist shot that WMU goalie Frank Slubowski kicked out with his left pad just a few a few minutes later.

U-M goalie Adam Janecyk (Ada, Mich.) also had a strong third period, stopping Elias three times on excellent scoring opportunities including one breakaway. But it was the last two minutes of play that really scared the Lawson Arena sellout crowd. Luke Moffatt (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) saw his point-blank scoring opportunity tipped over the net by WMU defenseman Luke Witkowski with just under two minutes left. Then with the Michigan goalie pulled for the last 1:35 of the game, Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.) had a hard slap shot turned away, and another shot just missed being tipped in by Travis Lynch (White Lake, Mich.).

The Wolverines outshot the Broncos, 30-26, but in the end the missed opportunities proved costly.

The teams will return to the ice Saturday (Jan. 26) for a 7:35 p.m. faceoff. The game will be televised by Fox Sports Detroit.

Contact: Bruce Madej (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.