Michigan's Unbeaten Streak Snapped at Penn State

Feb. 8, 2014

Boxscore PDF | Quotes | Notes

Site: State College, Pa. (Pegula Ice Arena)
Score: Penn State 4, #10 Michigan 0
Records: Michigan (14-7-3, 6-3-1-1 Big Ten), Penn State (5-18-1, 1-9-0-0 Big Ten)
Attendance: 6,170
Next U-M Event: Friday, Feb. 14 -- at Minnesota (Minneapolis, Minn.), 8 p.m. CST

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The 10th-ranked University of Michigan ice hockey team had its five-game unbeaten streak snapped in a 4-0 loss Saturday night (Feb. 8) at Penn State, which scored three goals in a 10:00 span in the first period en route to a 4-0 win at Pegula Ice Arena. It is Penn State's first Big Ten victory in program history.

Zach Nagelvoort (Holland, Mich.) made the start in net for the Wolverines and made six saves, while Steve Racine (Williamsville, N.Y.) made 30 stops in 46:42 of action in relief of Nagelvoort.

PSU's Matthew Skloff made 32 saves in net for the shutout, as Michigan was held scoreless for the second time this season and the first since a 3-0 loss to Michigan State in the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 28.

Penn State jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one period of play, firing 14 shots on the Michigan net and chasing Nagelvoort out of the game. Zach Saar gave the Nittany Lions the early lead, shoveling a loose puck through Nagelvoort off a faceoff win at 5:31.

Alex Guptill (Newmarket, Ontario) nearly evened the contest at the 9:00 mark on a breakaway from the blue line in, but the puck rolled on edge, and his shot went wide of the net.

With U-M starting to swarm the home team's net, Penn State scored another goal on a faceoff win to take a 2-0 lead, as Kenny Brooks tipped the puck forward to David Glen, who fired a shot from behind the goal line, off Nagelvoort's arm and into the net at 11:24.

Moments later, it was 3-0 Penn State, as Casey Bailey beat Nagelvoort in the slot between the pads at 13:17 to chase the freshman goaltender.

Racine made his first appearance in net since making the start on Dec. 28 against MSU.

Early on in the second period, JT Compher (Northbrook, Ill.) nearly got the Wolverines on the scoreboard, but his shot from the side of the crease deflected off a Penn State defensemen and trickled wide of the net.

Cristoval 'Boo' Nieves (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) had another great chance for Michigan at the 12:15 mark on an odd-man rush, but his shot from between the hash marks hit the crossbar.

Racine was solid in a substitute role, making several key stops to give the Wolverines a chance to come back in the game. With 5.4 left in the second period, he made a good stop on Tommy Olczyk's 2-on-1 shot from the left wing. Late in the game, with Michigan still trailing 3-0, Racine came up with a great right pad stop on Max Gardiner's 3-on-2 shot from the right circle, kicking out his right pad as Gardiner skated into the middle of the ice for a shot.

Michigan continued to apply pressure early in the third period; Compher jammed a wraparound on net at 4:33, and the puck went into the net after it was dislodged in a scrum in front. After reviewing the play, the officials ruled no goal and play continued.

At 10:51, Compher set up Tyler Motte (St. Clair, Mich.) with a pass from the corner to the front of the net, but Motte could not get a clean shot off.

Penn State sealed the win at 16:09 of the third period, as Ricky DeRosa fired a long shot through traffic past Racine.

Michigan will hit the road next weekend for its first Big Ten series against nationally ranked Minnesota at Mariucci Arena, starting with a Friday night (Feb. 14) contest at 8 p.m. CST.

Contact: Jeffrey Weinstein (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.