Four-Goal Second Sends U-M Past No. 9 WMU, Into CCHA Semis
Alex Guptill

March 16, 2013

Boxscore | Quotes | Notes
Highlights | CCHA Playoff Report

Site: Kalamazoo, Mich. (Lawson Ice Arena)
Event: CCHA Quarterfinals (Game 2)
Score: Michigan 5, #9 Western Michigan 1
Records: U-M (17-18-3), WMU (19-11-8)
Next U-M Event: Saturday, March 23 -- vs. Opponent TBD - CCHA Semifinal (Detroit, Mich.), 1 or 4:30 p.m.

KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team cruised to a 5-1 victory at Western Michigan (No. 9 USA Hockey, No. 9 USCHO) to complete the CCHA quarterfinal sweep on Saturday night (March 16) inside Lawson Ice Arena. Alex Guptill (New Market, Ontario) scored two goals, while Luke Moffatt (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) posted a playmaker (three assists) and captain A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) added two helpers.

U-M jumped out to 1-0 lead at 1:08, before WMU tied it 15 minutes later. The Wolverines burst out for four goals in the second period and held off the Broncos in the third for their second straight series sweep. The Wolverines are now 7-0-1 -- seven wins and a shootout win -- in their past eight games.

Up next for Michigan is a CCHA Semifinal game next Saturday (March 23) at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. U-M's opponent will be announced when quarterfinal play is complete.

Michigan took control early in the opening stanza, as Kevin Lynch (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) took a cross-ice pass from Lee Moffie (Wallingford, Conn.) in stride and went top shelf with a quick wrist shot to put the Wolverines up 1-0 at 1:08.

The Wolverines were outshooting WMU, 9-1, until a slashing penalty at 11:00; but the Wolverine penalty kill kept Western off the board and without a shot on net. Michigan outshot WMU, 15-3, in the first period.

Over the next 20 minutes, U-M controlled the play again but found the back of the net four times.

First it was Treais who made a great move to the net but was stopped by WMU goalie Frank Slubowski. Treais got the puck back behind the net and threw it back to a wide-open Andrew Sinelli (Dexter, Mich.), who ripped it home to give the Wolverines the lead for good at the 2:53 mark.

At 10:09 of the period, U-M had its first power-play opportunity, and Guptill cashed in for the Wolverines, scoring his first of two with a great second effort. With a scramble in front of the WMU net, he settled the puck down for a second-chance shot, lifting it over the top of a sprawling Slubowski.

Only 49 seconds later, Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, R.I.) swatted in a rebound after a great move and shot by Phil Di Giuseppe (Maple, Ontario) to make the score 4-1 and chase Slubowski from the game.

A great Racine save and Guptill's second goal came in the last minute of the second stanza to seal it. Racine made a pad save on a breakaway, and U-M responded quickly with Guptill's second goal from the slot with only 18 seconds left in the period.

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.