Cornell's OT Winner Ends U-M's Season in NCAA Regional Semis
Luke Glendening

March 24, 2012

Boxscore | Notes | Photo Gallery 
• Postgame Video: Highlights | Press Conference

Site: Green Bay, Wis. (Resch Center)
Event: NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinal
Score: #14 Cornell 3, #2 Michigan 2 (OT)
Records: U-M (24-13-4), Cornell (19-8-7)
Next U-M Event: Season Complete

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- After Kevin Lynch (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) scored with 4:01 left in regulation to force overtime, Cornell (No. 14 USCHO, No. 14 USA Today/USA Hockey) banged home the game-winner 3:35 into extra time as the University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 2 USCHO, No. 2 USA Hockey/USA Today) had its season end with a 3-2 loss in the NCAA Regional semifinals on Friday night (March 23) at the Resch Center.

It did not take long for Michigan to break open the scoring as captain Luke Glendening (Grand Rapids, Mich.) netted his 10th goal of the season, and fifth career postseason tally, just 1:10 into the contest. A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) took the original shot and Glendening buried the rebound to give the Wolverines a 1-0 lead.

Lynch appeared to give the Maize and Blue a 2-0 advantage just 13 seconds later, but after Cornell burned its timeout, the officials decided to review the play and the goal was waved off due to goaltender interference.

The Big Red took advantage of the new life and knotted the score at one goal apiece at the 10:10 mark of the first period when freshman forward John McCarron fired a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle and beat Michigan goaltender Shawn Hunwick (Sterling Heights, Mich.) just inside the far post.

The teams returned to the ice after the first intermission still tied at 1-1, but Cornell struck early in the second when Joakim Ryan netted a shorthanded goal at the 0:40 mark of the middle stanza to give his team a 2-1 lead.

Both teams had quality chances throughout the rest of the second period, but none better than Cornell's Locke Jillson, who was stopped by Hunwick on a penalty shot attempt at the 17:33 point of the period. It marked the first penalty shot that Hunwick has faced in his career.

After nearly 16 minutes of scoreless hockey in the third period, Lynch found his way back on to the score sheet with a goal to bring the Wolverines back to a 2-2 tie with only four minutes remaining in regulation. The play was set up thanks to a diving effort by defenseman Greg Pateryn (Sterling Heights, Mich.), who tipped the puck over to Mac Bennett (Naragannsett, R.I.) for a point shot. Lynch found the puck out front and flicked the rebound over the goalie to tie the game.

Cornell's OT winner came on a rebound in the slot as Rodger Craig put home the rebound after the initial shot was kicked out by Hunwick.

This marks the third straight year that U-M has had its NCAA Tournament season end with an overtime loss, and in each a Michigan goal was disallowed. The Wolverines did come out on top in extra time last season in the regional semis.

U-M finishes its season 24-13-4, having placed runner-up in both the CCHA regular-season standings and CCHA Tournament. Michigan will take its 22-season NCAA Tournament streak into 2012-13.

Contact: Rob Tillotson (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.