U-M's Bid for 23 Ends in Final CCHA Championship against Irish
Luke Moffatt

March 24, 2013

Boxscore | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery 
• Postgame Video: Highlights | Press Conference

Site: Detroit, Mich. (Joe Louis Arena)
Event: CCHA Championship (Final)
Score: #9 Notre Dame 3, Michigan 1
Records: U-M (18-19-3), Notre Dame (25-12-3)
Next U-M Event: Season Complete

DETROIT, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 20 USCHO, RV USA Hockey) scored first but failed to pull off the win in its 17th CCHA Final game appearance, losing to Notre Dame (No. 9 USCHO, No. 9 USA Hockey) by a score of 3-1 on Sunday (March 24) inside Joe Louis Arena. The Fighting Irish scored twice in the third stanza, securing the Mason Cup for the final time in the league's last championship tournament. U-M's Jacob Trouba (Rochester Hills, Mich.), Andrew Copp (Ann Arbor, Mich.), and Steve Racine (Williamsville, NY) were all named to the all-tournament team for the Maize and Blue.

U-M scored first on a shorthanded goal in the first period, and ND provided the equalizer in the second frame. The teams went into the final stanza tied 1-1, but the Irish registered a quick marker less than 30 seconds into the third and an empty-netter with 1:07 remaining in the game. The Wolverines registered seven total penalties with three occurring in the second frame but successfully killed all four Notre Dame power-play opportunities.

With one minute remaining in the first period, the Maize and Blue took a 1-0 lead with a shorthanded goal -- the team's second in as many games -- off the stick of Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, RI). Travis Lynch (White Lake, Mich.) passed the puck down to DeBlois, who took a shot from in front of the crease that rebounded to the left. Trouba beat an Irish defenseman to the puck and fired a pass along the ice across the crease to a wide-open DeBlois -- his third shortie of the season, and Michigan's seventh.

Notre Dame got the equalizer with 9:26 remaining in the second period when Jeff Costello wrapped a pass around the net straight to Anders Lee in the slot, where he snapped the puck into the cage.

The final period began tied 1-1, but the Irish jumped out ahead 29 seconds in when Austin Wuthrich recovered the puck after it slipped from Mario Lucia's stick, ripping it home and giving ND a 2-1 lead to start the frame.

The Fighting Irish extended their lead to 3-1 and guaranteed the win with 1:07 left in the matchup. As Racine skated off for the extra attacker, Notre Dame's Jeff Costello wound up and snapped it home before Racine could get back in net.

Racine saved 30-of-33 shots faced in the loss, and Notre Dame's Steven Summerhays stopped 20-of-21.

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.