Wolverines Fall to No. 15 Air Force in NCAA First Round

Site: Bridgeport, Conn. (Bridgeport Arena)
Event: NCAA East Regional
Score: #15 Air Force 2, #3 Michigan 0
Records: U-M (29-12-0), Air Force (28-10-2)
Next U-M Event: Season Complete

Boxscore | Postgame Notes | Photo Gallery | Video Report

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- The No. 3-ranked University of Michigan ice hockey team was shut out by No. 15 Air Force, 2-0, in the NCAA East Regional semifinal on Friday (March 27) in Bridgeport Arena. Despite outshooting the Falcons by a 43-13 margin, the Wolverines were shut out for the fifth time this season and the first time in 71 games of NCAA Tournament play. The Maize and Blue failed to convert seven power-play opportunities en route to the loss and had more shots on the man-advantage (16) than Air Force accumulated in the entire game (13).

Today's game marked U-M's national-best 19th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance. In the 19-year run, Michigan has collected at least one win 15 times.

Michigan went up 5-on-3 for 1:19 early in the opening period after Air Force received penalties at 3:32 and 4:13 for contact to the head and cross-checking, respectively. Despite the two-man advantage, Michigan could not muster a shot past Air Force netminder Andrew Volkening.

Air Force registered the first shot of the game, but the Wolverines collected the next 11.

The Falcons, who rank seventh nationally on the power play, earned three straight man-advantages, capitalizing on the last to take a 1-0 lead at 15:18 of the first period. After receiving the puck from Jeff Hajner, Derrick Burnett skated to the middle of the right circle where he took a wrist shot that flew into the top left corner of the net for the go-ahead tally. The score came on Air Force's third shot of the game.

At the first intermission, the Wolverines were outshooting the Falcons by a 16-3 margin.

AHA Player of the Year and Hobey Baker finalist Jacques Lamoureux put Air Force up by a pair at 7:02 in the second period. Matt Fairchild made a cross-ice pass to Lamoureux just outside the crease, and the latter slid it past goaltender Bryan Hogan's (Highland, Mich.) left side for the 2-0 lead.

Neither team scored for the remainder of the frame and, at the second intermission, Michigan had 27 shots to Air Force's eight. The Maize and Blue was 0-for-6 on the power play.

At 2:08 in the final frame, the Wolverines gained another man-advantage when Greg Flynn was whistled for interference. U-M had three shots in the time frame, none of which found a way past Volkening.

Michigan pulled Hogan from the net with 2:36 remaining in the contest. Despite the extra skater, U-M could not generate the offensive it needed for the comeback.

The Wolverines finish the season 29-12. U-M graduates seniors Danny Fardig(Ann Arbor, Mich.), Tim Miller(Davisburg, Mich.), Mark Mitera(Livonia, Mich.), Brandon Naurato(Livonia, Mich.), Billy Sauer(Walworth, N.Y.) and Travis Turnbull(Chesterfield, Mo.).

Contact: Matt Trevor (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.