Michigan Drops Season Opener to RIT in Overtime
Travis Lynch

Oct. 11, 2012

Boxscore | Quotes | Notes | Highlights

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Yost Ice Arena)
Score: RIT 5, Michigan 4 (OT)
Records: U-M (0-1-0), RIT (1-0-0)
Attendance: 4,611
Next U-M Event: Friday, Oct. 12 -- vs. Rochester Institute of Technology (Yost Ice Arena), 7:35 p.m.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 3 USA Today/No. 3 USCHO) fell, 5-4, in overtime to the Rochester Institute of Technology on Thursday night (Oct. 11) in the season opener at Yost Ice Arena.

The Wolverines dominated the first period 3-1 and put another on the board in the third, but the Tigers steadily chipped away at the lead in the final period to force an overtime situation. Freshman defenseman Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.) tallied one goal and one assist in the loss.

The Wolverines scored three of their four goals in the first period. Less than three minutes into the stanza, senior forward Lindsay Sparks (Oakville, Ontario) fired a shot across the crease to junior forward Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, R.I.), who one-timed it into the net to give U-M a 1-0 advantage at 2:16.

Two power-play goals followed to stretch Michigan's lead to three. At 11:41 of the first, during a brief five-on-three man-advantage, Trouba knocked one to junior defenseman Mac Bennett (Narragansett, R.I.), who fired off a shot from the point that found twine. Senior forward A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) picked up the other assist.

Less than seven minutes later on another power play, Trouba nabbed the first tally of his Wolverine career when he whipped behind the RIT net and stuffed in a wraparound stickside under the goaltender's leg.

With less than a minute remaining in the period, however, RIT got on the board when the puck floated in behind freshman goaltender Jared Rutledge (Chicago, Ill.) to bring the score to 3-1 after 20 minutes.

Midway through the second stanza, a near-goal by sophomore goaltender Alex Guptill (New Market, Ontario) was called back due to high-sticking. Though both teams had multiple power-play opportunities, neither team capitalized and the score remained 3-1 heading into the third.

RIT opened the third stanza with a quick goal fired up over Rutledge's shoulder to bring the score to 3-2. Sophomore forward Travis Lynch (White Lake, Mich.) was quick to retaliate when he stripped the puck from an RIT defenseman in a cleared-out attacking zone and ripped in an unassisted goal from in front of the crease, bringing the score to 4-2.

Midway through the period, the Tigers shrunk the lead to one and at 4:40, tied the game. The contest remained locked at 4-4 as the two teams headed into extra time, which lasted just 14 seconds as RIT's Adam Hartley forced the puck between Rutledge's pads.

Michigan was five-for-five on the penalty kill and capitalized on two out of seven power-play opportunities.

Rutledge saved 21 of 26 shots on goal and RIT's Josh Watson turned aside 40 of 44.

Michigan returns to game action tomorrow night (Friday, Oct. 12) for the final game in the series with RIT at Yost Ice Arena. The puck is slated to drop at 7:35 p.m.

Contact: Rob Tillotson (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.