Four-Goal Third Allows Wolverines to Tame RIT Tigers
Lindsay Sparks

Oct. 12, 2012

Boxscore | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery 
• Postgame Video: Highlights | Coach Berenson | Treais & Moffie

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Yost Ice Arena)
Score: #3 Michigan 7, RIT 2
Records: U-M (1-1-0), RIT (1-1-0)
Attendance: 5,474
Next U-M Event: Friday, Oct. 19 -- vs. Bentley (Yost Ice Arena), 7:35 p.m.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 3 USA Today/No. 3 USCHO) claimed its first victory of the season, 7-2, in the final of a two-game set versus the Rochester Institute of Technology on Friday night (Oct. 12) at Yost Ice Arena.

The Wolverines dominated the first stanza, 2-0, outshooting the Tigers, 19-5, en route to gaining the early two-goal advantage. RIT attempted a comeback for the second straight night, but Michigan rode a four-goal outburst in the third period to record the win. The U-M attack was led by Phil Di Giuseppe (Maple, Ontario), who contributed one goal and assist, and Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, R.I.), who recorded two assists on the night.

Michigan recorded its first goal off a slapshot by Lee Moffie (Wallingford, Conn.), as Cristoval 'Boo' Nieves (Baldwinsville, N.Y.), who collected the lone assist, set up the play.

In the late stages of the first period, RIT began to apply pressure on the Wolverines' net and earned its first power play with 2:07 remaining in the stanza. However, during the penalty kill, DeBlois stole the puck behind the Tigers' net and fed Travis Lynch (White Lake, Mich.) in the slot for a shorthanded goal, giving U-M the 2-0 lead late in the first.

Five minutes into the second stanza, RIT battled back into the game behind a 4-on-4 unassisted goal by Jeff Smith, whose shot trickled into the back of the net, while goaltender Steve Racine (Williamsville, N.Y.) scrambled to make the save. Originally, the Tigers' goal was waved off due to a hand pass, but the play was overruled upon a review.

The Wolverines responded near the end of the second frame, when Nieves intercepted a clearing pass at the blue line before feeding Di Giuseppe, who finished off the scoring play with a wrist shot through the five-hole, reestablishing a two-goal lead for U-M, 3-1, where the score remained after 40 minutes.

RIT closed the gap to one goal once again behind another Smith goal, his second tally of the night at 5:18 mark of the third.

However, the Wolverines responded just 47 seconds later, regaining a two-goal lead behind a A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) score, his first of the season, off a pass from behind the goal line by Di Giuseppe. Andrew Sinelli (Dexter, Mich.) was up next with his first career goal set up from Mac Bennett (Narragansett, R.I.) on a cross-ice pass, putting U-M up 5-2.

Two insurance goals closed out the scoring for Michigan, one on a power-play goal from Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.). The final tally was credited to Lindsay Sparks (Oakville, Ontario), who blasted home his first goal of the season on an off-wing rush up ice, extending the Michigan lead to five.

Racine, making his first career start, turned aside 21-of-23 shots faced, while RIT netminder Jordan Ruby was bombarded with 51 shots against, saving 44 of them.

On special teams, the Maize and Blue converted on 1-of-6 power-play chances while shutting down RIT on all four of its man-advantages.

The Wolverines return to action next Friday night (Oct. 19) against Bentley at Yost Ice Arena; the puck is slated to drop at 7:35 p.m.

Contact: Rob Tillotson (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.