Michigan Guts Out Tie at No. 13 New Hampshire
Tyler Motte

Oct. 18, 2013

Boxscore PDF | Quotes |  Notes | Highlights video icon

Site: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center Arena)
Score: #5 Michigan 1, #13 New Hampshire 1 (OT)
Records: U-M (2-0-1), UNH (1-1-1)
Attendance: 5,245
Next U-M Event: Saturday, Oct. 19 -- at New Hampshire (Durham, N.H.), 7 p.m.

DURHAM, N.H. -- Tyler Motte (St. Clair, Mich.) scored his second goal of the season, and Zach Nagelvoort (Holland, Mich.) made all 15 saves in relief of Steve Racine (Williamsville, N.Y.) to lead the University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 5 USA Today/USA Hockey, No. 5 USCHO) to a 1-1 tie at New Hampshire (No. 5 USA Today/USA Hockey, No. 5 USCHO) on Friday night (Oct. 18) in front of 5,245 fans at Whittemore Center Arena.

Michigan finished the night 8-for-8 on the penalty kill, including three UNH power plays in the third period.

At 1:41 of the third period, Racine (19 saves) exited the game due to injury, making way for Nagelvoort's debut in net. The freshman was tested immediately, stopping a Trevor van Riemsdyk drive from the point on UNH's first power-play opportunity of the third period at the 5:26 mark.

Later in the period, Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, R.I.) was called for tripping on a UNH breakaway, giving Dan Correale a penalty shot at 13:59. Nagelvoort made a sprawling left pad save to keep the game tied heading into overtime.

UNH outshot Michigan, 2-1, in the scoreless extra frame.

While UNH was unable to capitalize on its early power-play chances, the Wildcats tied the game shortly after their sixth-man advantage of the night expired. Nick Sorkin batted a rebound chance out of the air past Racine at 1:49 of the middle period to tie the game at 1-1, just as DeBlois exited the penalty box.

The Wildcats nearly took the lead at the 13:00 mark as a series of crisp passes set up Correale in the slot with an open net to shoot at, but he could not get a clean shot off, and the game remained tied heading into the third period.

The Wolverines struck first for the third consecutive time this season, converting on an extended power-play opportunity in period one after UNH's Dalton Speelman was called for a major contact to the head penalty at 13:11.

During the man-advantage, JT Compher (Northbrook, Ill.) fired a hard pass to Motte, who redirect a shot past Wyer at 15:32 to put Michigan up, 1-0. Andrew Copp (Ann Arbor, Mich.) was also credited with an assist on the play.

Racine made several great stops to keep the Wildcats off the scoresheet in the opening frame, also benefiting from three hit posts by UNH.

In the opening minutes, Racine made a left pad stop on Tyler Kelleher's shorthanded 3-on-1 chance. He later made another left pad save on Grayson Downing's shorthanded breakaway at the 16:30 mark. Downing had another breakaway chance a little more than a minute later, this time hitting the post at the 18:00 mark.

Michigan will close out the series at UNH tomorrow night (Saturday, Oct. 19) in a 7:05 p.m. contest that will air on Fox College Sports.

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.