Treais Provides Heroics in Comeback at Northern Michigan
A.J. Treais

Nov. 3, 2012

Boxscore | Quotes |  Notes

Site: Marquette, Mich. (Berry Events Center)
Score: #7 Michigan 4, Northern Michigan 4 (U-M wins shootout, 1-0)
Records: U-M (3-2-1, 1-1-1-1 CCHA), NMU (3-3-1, 0-2-1-0 CCHA)
Attendance: 3,684
Next U-M Event: Saturday, Nov. 3 -- vs. Northern Michigan (Marquette, Mich.), 7:35 p.m.

MARQUETTE, Mich. -- A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) scored the game-tying goal with 0.6 seconds left in the third period, completing a three-goal comeback for the University of Michigan ice hockey team (No. 7 USA Today/No. 8 against the Northern Michigan Wildcats on Friday (Nov. 2) at the Berry Events Center. Treais scored the lone shootout goal to give the Wolverines the extra CCHA point.

U-M entered the third period down 4-1, but a three-goal output in the final 20 minutes sent the contest into overtime.

Michigan struck first, 15:38 into the first period, when Mac Bennett (Narragansett, R.I.) put home his second goal of the season. Justin Selman (Upper Saddle River, N.J.) won the faceoff to the left of NMU goaltender Jared Coreau and made the pass back to Bennett, who floated one into the net for the 1-0 advantage.

It took just 42 seconds for the Wildcats to knot the score at 1-1 once the puck was dropped on the second period. With Derek DeBlois (Narragansett, R.I.) serving a goaltender interference penalty from the first period, NMU's Erik Higby found the back of the net after multiple rebound attempts in front.

Northern Michigan took the 2-1 lead, at the 8:54 mark of the second, when Wade Epp shot the puck from the point through a sea of bodies and slipped it past goaltender Steve Racine (Williamsville, N.Y.). Ryan Daugherty then scored on redirection at the 13:54 mark of the period and Cohen Adair did the same 15:37 into the middle frame to stake NMU a 4-1 lead into the dressing room. Three of NMU's four second-period goals came against a Michigan penalty kill unit that had successfully denied its opponents on 18-of-20 power plays entering tonight's contest.

Michigan's comeback began when Kevin Lynch (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) netted his first of the season 8:12 into the third period, burying a rebound after Bennett took a shot from the point. Mike Chiasson (Henderson, Nev.) made it a 4-3 game almost five minutes later when he found his way to a rebound out front for Michigan's second power-play goal of the period.

The Wolverines ran into a bit of penalty trouble at the 14:43 mark of the third period, when freshman Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.) was tagged with a five-minute major and game disqualification for contact to the head. Trouba will be ineligible for Saturday night's contest.

After successfully killing the five-minute major, Michigan found itself down 4-3 with just 17 seconds remaining in regulation. With Racine on the bench in favor of an extra attacker, U-M put pucks on net and created a scramble in front of the NMU goaltender. Treais found himself in perfect position just to the left of Coreau and buried the game-tying goal with only 0.6 seconds remaining in the game.

After a scoreless overtime period, the game proceeded to a shootout. Treais led off the shootout for Michigan, ripping a shot through the five hole of Coreau. That stood up to be the game-deciding goal, as no other shooter could find the back of the net.

Racine made his fourth start of the season for Michigan, turning aside 24 shots in the tie. Coreau stopped 31-of-35 shots.

Michigan ended the contest 2-for-5 on the power play, while NMU converted on 3-of-6 man-up chances.

The Wolverines and Wildcats will close out this two-game set on Saturday night (Nov. 3) at the Berry Events Center. Game time is scheduled for 7:35 p.m.

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.