Michigan Ties Ferris State Before Prevailing in Shootout
Lindsay Sparks

Dec. 1, 2012

Boxscore | Quotes | Notes

Site: Big Rapids, Mich. (Ewigleben Ice Arena)
Score: Michigan 3, Ferris State 3 (U-M wins shootout, 3-2)
Records: U-M (5-8-2, 3-6-1-2 CCHA), FSU (7-4-3, 6-3-0-0 CCHA)
Attendance: 2,490
Next U-M Event: Friday, Dec. 14 -- vs. Western Michigan (Yost Ice Arena), 7:35 p.m.

BIG RAPIDS, Mich. -- The University of Michigan ice hockey team jumped out to a 3-1 first-period lead before needing a shootout to decide the winner of Saturday's (Dec. 1) game at Ferris State. After playing to a 3-3 tie, the Wolverines won the shootout, 3-2, with Luke Moffatt (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) scoring the deciding goal in the fourth round at Ewigleben Ice Arena.

After suffering a 5-0 loss in this building last night (Friday, Nov. 30), Michigan was looking at a similar fate just :42 into the game when Jason Binkley netted his first goal of the season on a rebound.

From that point on, the first period belonged to Michigan, as the Wolverines scored three unanswered goals to take a 3-1 lead into the dressing room after 20 minutes of play.

Captain A.J. Treais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) kicked off the scoring for U-M when a Lindsay Sparks (Oakville, Ontario) shot deflected off a Ferris State defenseman and right to Treais' stick. The goal marked the captain's team-leading 10th of the season and put him in a tie for second place nationally.

Cristoval 'Boo' Nieves (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) was next up on the scoring docket, tallying Michigan's second rebound goal of the game, when he banged home the puck after a shot from Moffatt.

Sparks then added a goal to his earlier assist, just 29 seconds later, tipping a Kevin Lynch (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) shot past FSU netminder C.J. Motte. Tonight marked Sparks' first multiple-point game of the season and the ninth of his Michigan career.

Ferris State pulled to within one 8:12 into the second period. Kyle Bonis took the puck at center and down behind the Michigan goal before completing the wrap-around to make it a 3-2 game after 30 minutes of play.

The Bulldogs then knotted things up at three goals apiece, thanks to Bonis' second goal of the game, 6:27 into the final period. Bonis fired a wrist shot from the left faceoff circle and beat Racine high glove side for the unassisted goal.

Neither team found the game-winner through the rest of the third period or overtime, and the game progressed to a shootout. Nieves and Treais scored for the Wolverines but were countered by Cory Kane and Travis Ouellette for the Bulldogs. Moffatt scored in the fourth round for Michigan and the Bulldogs were unable to stay alive, giving U-M the extra point in the CCHA standings.

The Wolverines will enjoy a bye next weekend before returning to the ice on Friday, Dec. 14, and Saturday, Dec. 15, when they host the Western Michigan Broncos in the final series before the holiday break. Both games are scheduled for 7:35 p.m. start times.

Contact: Rob Tillotson (734) 763-4423

»  Learn about Michigan ice hockey season tickets for the 2017-18 season.