U-M Unable to Hold On to Early Lead, Falls to Bellarmine
Thomas Paras

March 17, 2012

Boxscore | Photo Gallery 

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium)
Score: Bellarmine 13, Michigan 9
Records: U-M (1-7), Bellarmine (3-2)
Attendance: 858
Next U-M Event: Saturday, March 24 -- vs. Mount St. Mary's (Michigan Stadium), 3 p.m.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's lacrosse team fell to Bellarmine, 13-9, on Saturday (March 17) in its first-ever regular-season game at Michigan Stadium. Michigan scored the first three goals, before Bellarmine fought back, scoring five straight goals in the first half and outscoring the Wolverines, 7-4, in the second half.

For Michigan, Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, Pa./Upper St. Clair), Thomas Paras (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Ignatius) and Will Meter (Beverly Hills, Mich./Brother Rice) each had two goals. Bellarmine's Lance Robinson had three goals to lead the Knights. Austin Bright added two goals and three assists.

Michigan outshot Bellarmine 29-26, but the Knights won the face-off battle, 16-10. Ground balls were even at 32 apiece.

Michigan scored first for the seventh time in eight games this season. Paras took an Alex Vasileff (Birmingham, Mich/Seaholm) pass and scored on Michigan's opening possession of the game at 13:06. Ryan Dutton-O'Hara (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana) scored Michigan's second goal at 11:30. Facing a 10-man ride, J.D. Johnson (Malibu, Calif./Loyola) fired the ball the length of the field. Dutton-O'Hara fielded the pass, made a clean fake before scoring his first goal. Zachary Dauch (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Lahser) scored the third goal at 10:57, assisted by Yealy.

Bellarmine countered with five straight goals to take a 5-3 lead two minutes into second quarter. Michigan traded goals to end the half down, 6-5, with Meter and Paras tallying goals.

Bellarmine took control with two goals in six seconds in the third period. Goalie Dillon Ward scored on a goal from 70 yards out when the Wolverines were in a 10-man ride and could not recover on the long shot. Moments later, Andrew Bulgarelli won a faceoff and sprinted in for a Knights goal.

Michigan stayed close for the rest of the game but was unable to retake the lead. Meter's goal at 0:15 in the third period pulled the Wolverines within 9-7, but Bellarmine added three straight goals to start the fourth period to put the game away.

The Wolverines return to action on Saturday (March 24) against Mount St. Mary's. Game time is 3 p.m. at Michigan Stadium.


Michigan Head Coach John Paul
Opening remarks on the game as a whole ... "This one was disappointing. I felt going into halftime if we cleaned a couple things up, and moved the ball a little better offensively, we were going to be in pretty good shape in the second half. I thought offensively and in the clear, we did both those things, and we kept hitting the pipes -- we hit a lot of pipes. We lost Emil (Weiss) in the fourth quarter, and asking Dylan (Westerhold) to come in cold like that -- he obviously wasn't ready to come in. They scored a couple quick ones right away and it was pretty tough to overcome."

On what helped them come out fast to the 3-0 start in the first quarter ... "I think we rode well, we won a couple faceoffs, and we just had possession of the ball. And our offense -- especially in the first and fourth quarters -- was working pretty well. It was more about us executing our offense and burying shots than anything else. We went through a lull there where we weren't burying shots -- we were hitting pipes and they were making saves. If that stuff isn't happening, then this is a different game. That's just the way this game goes sometimes. Everything can be working, but you still have to finish, and we just went through a period where we were not finishing."