Michigan's Second-Half Rally Falls Short against No. 15 Fairfield
David Joseph

April 5, 2014

Boxscore PDF

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium)
Score: #15 Fairfield 9, Michigan 8
Records: U-M (4-8, 1-2 ECAC), Fairfield (9-2, 2-0 ECAC)
Attendance: 1,634
Next U-M Event: Saturday, April 12 -- at Ohio State - Showdown at the Shoe (Columbus, Ohio), 11 a.m.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's lacrosse team used a stalwart defensive effort to mount a second-half comeback against the No. 15 Fairfield Stags but ultimately dropped a 9-8 decision on Saturday (April 5) in the third annual Battle at the Big House following the U-M football team's spring game.

Junio/sophomore David Joseph (Westlake, Ohio/St. Ignatius) led the Wolverines (4-8, 1-2 ECAC) with a career-high three goals, including a goal with 1:37 remaining in the fourth quarter that pulled the Wolverines within one goal. Freshman Mikie Schlosser (Davis, Calif./Davis) added two goals for the Maize and Blue, while sophomore Kyle Jackson (Sarnia, Ontario/The Hill Academy) notched a goal and an assist.

Fairfield jumped out to a 2-0 lead midway through the first quarter, but Schlosser got the Wolverines on the board at the 6:07 mark of the first, taking a pass from sophomore Dan Kinek (Macungie, Pa./Emmaus) and firing a righthanded crank shot from 12 yards out into the back of the net to cut the lead to 2-1. Joseph tied it at two goals apiece with an unassisted strike with 2:21 remaining in the first.

After two more goals increased Fairfield's lead to 4-2, freshman Ian King (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Xavier) got the Wolverines within one with a diving goal, his team-leading 24th of the season. Despite two more Fairfield goals, Michigan appeared to be within striking distance late in the half. The Maize and Blue capitalized on a failed clear by the Stags, and Joseph took advantage of the extra possession with his second goal of the game to cut the deficit to 6-4. However, the Stags added two goals with less than two minutes in the second quarter to take an 8-4 halftime lead.

The Wolverines came out fast to start the second half, using goals by fifth-year senior Thomas Paras (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Ignatius) and Schlosser to get within 8-6. After Paras scored at the 13:04 mark, Schlosser used a rocker step and righty wing dodge to beat his defender and slip his second goal of the game past the goalkeeper. Jackson netted a goal early in the fourth to get the Wolverines within 8-7.

The Michigan defense was spectacular coming out of halftime and a main contributor to the comeback. After conceding two goals late in the first half, Michigan held Fairfield scoreless for 27:48 of the second half. The defense also had a key penalty kill late in the third quarter, as Fairfield had four shots with a two-man advantage.

Fairfield finally got on the board again with a goal at the 2:12 mark of the fourth. Joseph added his third goal of the game to pull U-M within 9-8 with 1:37 remaining, but time ran out on the U-M comeback.

Michigan recorded 34 shots to Fairfield's 29, while the Stags led in ground balls, 29-24. Freshman Robbie Zonino (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) made eight saves in net for the Wolverines.

U-M will continue ECAC play when it takes on Ohio State in the annual Showdown at the Shoe Saturday (April 12) at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. Faceoff is slated for 11 a.m., preceding the Ohio State spring football game.


• The last time U-M gave up fewer than 10 goals was against Furman (March 8).

• This game marked the eighth straight game that Ian King has scored at least one goal. King has scored multiple goals in six of those eight contests.

• This game marked the second time this season that Michigan has shut out an opponent for a quarter.

• The one-goal defeat is the second one-goal loss against a ranked opponent in program history (Cornell on March 1).

• The last time Michigan faced an opponent that was not penalized was against Loyola on March 7, 2012.

Contact: Scott Kemps