Big Second Half Propels U-M Past Saint Joe's, to Season's First Win
Willie Steenland

April 20, 2013

Notes | Boxscore

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium)
Score: Michigan 11, Saint Joseph's 8
Records: U-M (1-12), Saint Joseph's (5-9)
Attendance: 917
Next U-M Event: Saturday, April 27 -- at Denver (Denver, Colo.), 1 p.m. MDT

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's lacrosse team outscored Saint Joseph's six to two in the second half to pick up its first win of the season on Saturday (April 20), defeating the Hawks 11-8 at Michigan Stadium. Senior Thomas Paras (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Ignatius) scored three goals and added two assists, while freshman Kyle Jackson (Sarnia, Ontario/The Hill Academy) added two goals and two assists to lead the Wolverine attack in the first home win in program history.

Michigan got on the board first as freshman Mike Hernandez (Piedmont, Calif./Piedmont) scored by raking in a loose ball just outside the crease. U-M then tacked on its second goal off the ensuing faceoff when freshman Brad Lott (Louisville, Ky./Trinity) found a clear path to the cage, going coast to coast. After Saint Joseph's added a goal, Paras scored his first of the game on a hands-free rip to give Michigan a 3-1 lead with 1:57 left in the first quarter.

Saint Joseph's tied the score at three at the end of the first quarter, but Michigan had an answer for every Hawk run. Sophomore Mike Francia (Wilton, Conn./Wilton High School/Sacred Heart) took advantage of a Saint Joe's penalty and gave the Wolverines a 4-3 lead, assisted by freshman Riley Kennedy (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Brother Rice). The point is the first of the Kennedy's career. Saint Joe's responded with another goal two minutes later, but sophomore David McCormack (Terrace Park, Ohio/Mariemont) scored to put Michigan up 5-4, before the Hawks added two more goals to take a 6-5 halftime lead.

Sophomore Will Meter (Beverly Hills, Mich./Brother Rice) scored two goals in twenty seconds, the second on a roll from X, to give the Maize and Blue a 7-6 lead with 12:25 remaining in the third quarter. The Hawks answered back with two straight goals to lead 8-7, but Michigan clamped down the rest of the way.

Jackson double pumped and ripped in a shot to knot the score at 8-8 by the end of the third, and the Wolverines added three more unanswered goals, all coming via crank shots, in the fourth, as two came from Paras and one from Jackson. Paras' second goal came at the 14:11 mark, while Jackson's second came less than a minute later, assisted by Paras. Jackson returned the favor with 10:49 remaining, assisting on Paras' third goal of the game.

Freshman goalie Gerald Logan (Sachem, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) turned aside 15 shots. Michigan led in total shots (45-32) and hustled to more ground balls (31-22). Lott was also strong in the faceoff circle, winning 12-of-20 draws. As a team, Michigan won 13-of-22 faceoffs.

Michigan travels to Denver, Colo., for its final regular-season game. The game against the University of Denver on Saturday (April 27) is slated for 1 p.m.