U-M Blanks Vermont in Home Opener, Gives Daley First Win
Latif Alashe

Aug. 31, 2012

Boxscore Get Acrobat Reader | Photo Gallery  | Highlights Video icon

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (U-M Soccer Stadium)
Score: Michigan 3, Vermont 0
Records: U-M (1-1), Vermont (1-2)
Attendance: 918
Next U-M Game: Sunday, Sept. 2 -- vs. Cleveland State (U-M Soccer Stadium), 4 p.m.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's soccer team jumped out to 2-0 lead in the first half on goals from senior Latif Alashe (Northville, Mich./Northville) and freshman Luke Coulson (Manchester, England/Sutton Academy) and never looked back, downing the Vermont Catamounts by a 3-0 count Friday (Aug. 31) at U-M Soccer Stadium. The win is the first for new head coach Chaka Daley, while junior/sophomore Adam Grinwis (Ada, Mich./Forest Hills) recorded his third career shutout.

Michigan (1-1) got off to a fast start, as Coulson ripped a shot from 30 yards out that sailed narrowly wide right in the 14th minute. Ten minutes later, Coulson was responsible for a corner-kick service from the right flank that found the back post and was headed home top-shelf by Alashe at the top of the six-yard box to give the Wolverines the 1-0 advantage.

The Catamounts (1-2) nearly evened the tally two minutes later in the 26th minute, as Noah Johnson streaked down the left side of the field inside the 18 and fired a shot short-side that was turned away by Grinwis in his only save of the night.

The Wolverines added to the advantage in the 34th minute, as Coulson sent in a swooping ball off an assist from junior Dylan Mencia (Honesdale, Pa./Scranton Prep). The strike sailed into the top-left shelf of the goal past Catamount goalkeeper Dave Ramada to give the Wolverines a 2-0 advantage heading into the half.

Following the intermission, the Catamounts had a quality chance in the 54th minute, as Sean Sweeney fired a free kick from 30 yards out dead center that sailed narrowly high over the crossbar to keep the score line 2-0 in favor of the Wolverines.

Another Vermont attempt in the 74th minute went awry, as another set piece from Jonny Bonner went wide right in the final chance of the night for the Catamounts.

Michigan tacked on its final score of the night in the 86th minute, as junior striker T.J. Roehn (Tampa, Fla./South Florida) made a 20-yard run, fighting off a Vermont defender draped all over him, and fired a strike that beat Ramada to seal the U-M victory.

With the clean sheet, Grinwis tallied the third shutout of his career by making one save on the night to three by Ramada. Michigan outshot the Catamounts by an 11-8 margin.

Michigan continues the first homestand of the season Sunday (Sept. 2) against the Cleveland State Vikings at 4 p.m. at U-M Soccer Stadium.


By Periods 1 2 F
Vermont 0 0 0
Michigan 2 1 3

Scoring, Time (Assist)
1st -- U-M, Latif Alashe, 23:32 (Luke Coulson)
1st -- U-M, Coulson, 33:20 (Dylan Mencia)
2nd -- U-M, T.J. Roehn, 86:31 (unassisted)

Shots: U-M 11, Vermont 8
Shots on Goal: U-M 6, Vermont 1
Saves: U-M 1 (Adam Grinwis), Vermont 3 (Dave Ramada)
Corner Kicks: U-M 9, Vermont 2
Cards: Vermont, Joe Losier, 87:00 (Yellow).


• The match marks the first win at Michigan for head coach Chaka Daley.

Jason Stacy and Ben Manko made their collegiate debuts for the Wolverines.

• The assist for Dylan Mencia was the second of his career.

• The shutout was the third of Adam Grinwis' career and first since the Wolverines upset No. 4 Akron, 1-0, on Oct. 18, 2011.

• The Wolverines debuted new kits, wearing an all-white ensemble.

• Senior captain Latif Alashe, who wore the captain armband tonight, stretched his streak of consecutive matches started to 65. He has started every match of his U-M career.

Luke Coulson leads the team with four points (1g, 2a) and is the only Wolverine to register a point in each match played this season.

Contact: Scott Kemps (734) 763-4423

Sign up for Michigan Insider to be the first to learn about 2017 Michigan men's soccer ticket opportunities.