U-M Drops Big Ten Opener at Ohio State in Overtime
Ezekiel Harris

Sept. 25, 2011


Site: Columbus, Ohio (Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium)
Score: Ohio State 3, Michigan 2 (OT)
Records: U-M (2-7-1), OSU (5-2-1)
Next U-M Game: Saturday, Oct. 1 -- at Penn State (State College, Pa.), 7 p.m.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The University of Michigan men's soccer team suffered its third straight overtime loss in as many games, dropping a 3-2 setback at Ohio State on Sunday afternoon (Sept. 25) in the Big Ten opener at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

The Wolverines battled back from a halftime deficit to take a 2-1 lead with goals at 80:03 and 84:23, but an own goal sent the game into overtime, which lasted 34 seconds before the Buckeyes netted the winner. A giveaway by Michigan was one-timed by Hegngi with his left foot into the right side of the goal for an OSU victory in U-M's conference opener.

Ohio State grabbed a 1-0 lead at 15:46 on a shot by Austin McAnena, who took a pass on the right side of the box 15 yards out and one-timed the shot past redshirt freshman goalkeeper Adam Grinwis (Ada, Mich./Forest Hills HS) off the left post and into the goal. Omar Vallejo assisted on McAnena's second goal of the season.

Michigan's best chance of the opening half came in the 34th minute on an overlapping run on the right side. Freshman Matt Rickard (Exeter, Devonshire/Ivybridge Community) passed to sophomore Fabio Villas Boas Pereira (Sao Paolo, Brazil/South Kent [Conn.]), who setup sophomore Ezekiel Harris (Flint, Mich./Carman-Ainsworth HS) at the six-yard box, but his shot from six yards out sailed over the goal.

Junior Latif Alashe (Northville, Mich./Northville HS) had both shots on goal for the Wolverines in the first half. Ohio State outshot Michigan in the opening half, 8-5, with both teams notching on goal. The Wolverines were whistled for five fouls and received two yellow cards, while the Buckeyes were carded once and committed nine fouls in the first frame.

Michigan had a great chance to score the equalizer in the 54th minute following a foul by Ohio State, but Pereira hit the crossbar off the direct free kick from 25 yards out. Grinwis made five saves in the second half to keep the Wolverines within striking distance late in the contest.

Pereira scored the tying goal, and his fourth of the season, with a left-footed shot between the legs of the OSU keeper at 80:03. Alashe crossed the ball from just above the end line through the box and by a host of Ohio State defenders to Pereira on the left side, where he buried the shot from four yards out.

Michigan then scored the go-ahead goal off a set piece. Freshman Tyler Arnone (Hicksville, N.Y./Hicksville HS) crossed the ball from about eight yards out on the right side where Harris shot the ball toward the goal with his left foot. The ball redirected off a Buckeye defender and into the net at 84:23.

However, Ohio State tied the game with less than four minutes remaining in regulation to set up the overtime session. A throw-in by Adam Gorski was headed into the goal by a Michigan defender.

Michigan will continue its conference road swing with a game at Penn State next Saturday (Oct. 1). The game with the Nittany Lions will begin at 7 p.m.


By Periods 1 2OT F
Michigan 0 2 0 2
Ohio State 1 1 1 3

Scoring, Time (Assist)
1st -- OSU, Austin McAnena, 15:46 (Omar Vallejo)
2nd -- U-M, Fabio Pereira, 80:03 (Latif Alashe)
2nd -- U-M, Ezekiel Harris, 84:23 (Tyler Arnone)
2nd -- OSU, U-M Own Goal, 86:04
1OT -- OSU, Chris Hegngi, 90:34 (Omar Vallejo)

Shots: U-M 13, OSU 20
Shots on Goal: U-M 5, OSU 9
Saves: U-M 6 (Adam Grinwis), OSU 3 (Matt Lampson)
Corner Kicks: U-M 3, OSU 2
Cards: U-M, Latif Alashe, 28:10 (Yellow); U-M, Kofi Opare, 32:16 (Yellow); OSU, Zach Dobey, 41:33 (Yellow); OSU, Austin McAnena, 51:30 (Yellow); U-M, Luca Shioppa, 67:06 (Yellow); OSU, Brady Wahl, (Yellow); OSU, Ben Killian, 84:23 (Yellow).

Sign up for Michigan Insider to be the first to learn about 2017 Michigan men's soccer ticket opportunities.