Wolverines Fall at San Diego State in Final Non-Conference Match
Matthew Rickard

Oct. 22, 2011

Boxscore Get Acrobat Reader

Site: San Diego, Calif. (SDSU Sports Deck)
Score: San Diego State 2, Michigan 1
Records: U-M (5-11-1), SDSU (9-3-2)
Next U-M Game: Sunday, Oct. 30 -- at Michigan State (East Lansing, Mich.), Noon

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The University of Michigan men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 setback at the hands of San Diego State Saturday afternoon (Oct. 22) at San Diego State Sports Deck. The Wolverines (5-11-1) trailed 2-0 in the 78th minute, but Matthew Rickard (Exeter, Devonshire/Clyst Vale CC) cut the deficit in half with his first score of the season on an assist from sophomore Fabio Villas Boas Pereira (Sao Paulo, Brazil/South Kent School (Conn.).

San Diego State (9-3-2) got off to a hot start, taking the lead in the ninth minute of action, as Aztec defender Daniel Steres found teammate Casey Meuser. Meuser fed Miles Byass at the top of the 18, and Byass gave the Aztecs the 1-0 lead as he beat U-M goalkeeper Adam Grinwis (Ada, Mich./Forest Hills ) lower-left for his first score of the season.

The Wolverines generated a solid offensive build-up in the 21st minute, as sophomore Noble Sullivan (Grand Rapids, Mich./Catholic Central) flicked a pass to Pereira, who was able center the pass. However, an alert Aztec goalkeeper Blake Hylen took the ball off Pereira's foot, avoiding any danger.

San Diego State nearly doubled its advantage in the 37th minute, as John Pegg sent a cross from the right flank. The cross was gathered by forward Ata Ozbay, who half-volleyed an attempt off the crossbar from seven yards out.

U-M threatened once again in the 43rd minute, as junior Kofi Opare (Niagara Falls, Ontario/St. Paul) off a cross inside the 18, but Hylen was able to save the headed attempt to send the match into halftime.

SDSU tacked on its second score of the contest on a Michigan own goal, as Jordan Ongaro sent a pass inside the 18 from the left flank and it deflected off Opare to give the Aztecs a 2-0 advantage with 33 minutes left to play.

Following Rickard's score, the U-M offense pressed hard. In the 84th minute, after a pass from Latif Alashe (Northville, Mich./ Northville), Sullivan's rip from 10 yards out was stopped by a diving Hylen to preserve the 2-1 advantage. The final Wolverine quality opportunity came in the 86th minute, as Pereira fired a left-footed attempt from 19 yards out top-center, but the shot sailed narrowly wide left in the final attempt of the match for either side.

Grinwis turned away three Aztec shots in the loss, while Hylen stopped a trio of Wolverine opportunities.

U-M returns to Big Ten action Sunday (Oct. 30) as the Wolverines travel to East Lansing, Mich., to take on the Michigan State Spartans. Kickoff from DeMartin Stadium is slated for noon.


By Periods 1 2 F
Michigan 0 1 1
San Diego State 1 1 2

Scoring, Time (Assist)
1st -- SDSU, Miles Byass, 8:53 (Casey Meuser, Daniel Steres)
2nd -- SDSU, Own Goal, 56:51
2nd -- U-M, Matthew Rickard, 77:38 (Fabio Villas Boas Pereira)

Shots: U-M 11, SDSU 9
Shots on Goal: U-M 4, SDSU 5
Saves: U-M 3 (Adam Grinwis 3), SDSU 3 (Blake Hylen)
Corner Kicks: U-M 3, SDSU 2
Cards:SDSU, Abraham Vollon, 3:38 (Yellow); U-M, Matthew Rickard, 17:08 (Yellow); SDSU, John Pegg, 39:50 (Yellow); U-M, Dylan Mencia, 43:28 (Yellow); U-M, Fabio Villas Boas Pereira, 60:48 (Yellow); SDSU, Kody Duff, 65:12 (Yellow); SDSU, Gemechu Abraham, 69:07 (Yellow)

Contact: Scott Kemps (734) 763-4423

Sign up for Michigan Insider to be the first to learn about 2017 Michigan men's soccer ticket opportunities.