Wolverines' Big Ten Tournament Title Defense Cut Short by Wisconsin
Adam Shaw

Nov. 9, 2011

Boxscore | Photo Gallery  | Highlights | Big Ten Tournament Central

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (U-M Soccer Stadium)
Event: Big Ten Tournament (First Round)
Score: Wisconsin 2, Michigan 0
Records: U-M (5-14-1), Wisconsin (10-7-2)
Next U-M Game: Season Complete

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The sixth-seeded University of Michigan men's soccer team was defeated 2-0 by the third-seeded Wisconsin Badgers on Wednesday night (Nov. 9) in the opening round of the 2011 Big Ten Tournament at the U-M Soccer Stadium. As a result, the 2010 Big Ten Tournament champion Wolverines have their season come to a close.

After a scoreless first 83 minutes of action, Tomislav Zadro fed Nick Janus from the left flank inside the 18 for the first goal of the match at 83:22. The Badgers then tacked on an insurance score with 1:29 remaining to seal the victory and move on to face seventh-seeded Penn State in the tournament semis.

Michigan earned its first chance of the match 29 minutes in, when freshman Tyler Arnone (Hicksville, N.Y./Hicksville HS) drew a foul 25 yards out. The free kick was taken by sophomore Fabio Villas Boas Pereira (Sao Paolo, Brazil/South Kent [Conn.]) toward a sliding Arnone on the far post but ended fruitless.

Less than two minutes later, sophomore Noble Sullivan (Grand Rapids, Mich./Catholic Central) took a shot from 10 yards out that was turned away by Wisconsin goalkeeper Max Jentsch diving to his right. U-M continued the push thanks to Arnone once again, as he took a rip from 20 yards out that was partially deflected for a Wolverine corner, which was cleared to safety by the Badger defense.

Just before the half, Badger attacker Zadro fired a free kick from 25 yards out top center that was blocked to represent the final opportunity of the half for either side.

The match went into the half scoreless after being heavily affected by wind gusts reaching 40 miles per hour. Wisconsin played with the win at its back in the opening stanza, outshooting Michigan, 8-2.

With the wind at its back in the second half, Michigan started off the offensive chances in the 55th minute. Junior Latif Alashe (Northville, Mich./Northville HS) ripped a shot from 35 yards out that was destined for the top-right corner but was turned away by Jentsch for a Michigan corner.

Three minutes later, Badger midfielder David Caban was stopped point blank by freshman goalkeeper Adam Grinwis (Ada, Mich./Forest Hills HS) on a partial break to keep the match scoreless.

Arnone and freshman Matthew Rickard (Exeter, Devonshire/Ivybridge Community) had attempts on frame in the 85th minute. Arnone's first attempt was stopped by Jentsch, while Rickard's effort was blocked and cleared to safety by the Badger defense.

Wisconsin outshot the Wolverines, 17-8, in the game. Corners were even at four apiece, while Grinwis made seven saves compared to a trio by Jentsch.


By Periods 1 2 F
Michigan 0 0 0
Wisconsin 0 2 2

Scoring, Time (Assist)
2nd -- UW, Nick Janus, 83:22 (Tomislav Zadro)
2nd -- UW, Josh Thiermann, 88:31 (unassisted)

Shots: U-M 8, UW 17
Shots on Goal: U-M 3, UW 9
Saves: U-M 7 (Adam Grinwis), UW 3 (Max Jentsch)
Corner Kicks: U-M 4, UW 4
Cards: None.


• The match marked the final game for three seniors who saw game action. Adam Shaw played the full match as a holding midfielder, while Jarrett Kerr and Eric Leifland saw time in the final minutes.

• Wind gusts were recorded as strong as 45 miles an hour throughout the match and held at 20 mph for the majority of the night.

• Michigan did not use a sub in the first half for the first time this season.

Sign up for Michigan Insider to be the first to learn about 2017 Michigan men's soccer ticket opportunities.