Feb. 12, 2012
Site: Columbus, Ohio (McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion)
Event: OSU Winter Invitational (Day 2 of 2)
U-M Team Result: No Team Scoring
Next U-M Event: Wed-Sat., Feb. 22-25 -- at Big Ten Championships (Iowa City, Iowa)
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The No. 4-ranked University of Michigan men's swimming and diving team wrapped up day two of the Ohio State Winter Invite on Sunday (Feb. 12) with senior Casey Sreenan (Miami, Fla./Christopher Columbus) earning a second-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. On the weekend, U-M swimmers collected wins in the 500-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breaststroke.
On Saturday (Feb.11), sophomore/freshman Jonathon Ekleberry (Rochester, Mich./Adams) won the 500 freestyle with a 4:26.25 and was followed by junior Andrew Novakoff (Lighthouse Point, Fla./Pine Crest), who touched the wall with a 4:27.13 to finish third in the event.
Sreenan's solid weekend began on Saturday with a 54.67 to take the 100 breaststroke title, while sophomore/freshman David Moore (Holland, Mich./Holland) took fourth in the event with a 56.55 after a 56.29 time in prelims.
Sunday's action, highlighted by Sreenan's time in the 200-yard breaststroke, also saw Novakoff take fourth in the 200-yard freestyle (1:40.80). Additionally, sophomore D'Voreaux Cann (Tacoma, Wash./Stadium) took fifth in the 200-yard butterfly with a 1:53.40 in the finals after a 1:52.40 in prelims.
Michigan returns to the pool after an extended break to defend its 2011 Big Ten title at the 2012 Big Ten Championships (Feb. 22-25) in Iowa City, Iowa.
Event Winners/U-M Finishers (Day 2)
Preliminary time in parentheses if faster than finals time
1. Bo Wullings, Ohio State 1:38.05
4. Andrew Novakoff, U-M 1:40.80
11. Jonathon Ekleberry, U-M 1:40.33
12. Zach Kelch, U-M 1:42.84
1. Sean Johnson, Ohio State 2:02.09 (2:01.84)
2. Casey Sreenan, U-M 2:02.26
9. Adam Oxner, U-M 2:32.12 (2:06.81)
10. David Moore, U-M 2:32.12 (2:06.91)
1. Spencer Rogers, Washington 20.73
7. Jeremy Raisky, U-M 21.33
13. Casey Sreenan, U-M 22.03 (21.60)
14. David Moore, U-M 22.08 (22.04)
1. Brett Boston, Ohio State 1:52.09
5. D'Voreaux Cann, U-M 1:53.40 (1:52.40)
1. Brent Hitchcock, Ohio State 15:25.53
2. Andrew Novakoff, U-M 15:34.01
3. Zach Kelch, U-M 15:35.66
4. Jonathan Ekleberry, U-M 15:37.96
• Day One Results