Men's Track & Field Punches Three Tickets to NCAA Outdoors
Cartwright Named Big Ten Men's Field Athlete of the Year
Cartwright Takes Second in Men's Weight Throw at NCAA Indoors
Cartwright Earns Regional Men's Track and Field Award
Throwers Lead Men's Track and Field to Seventh at Big Tens
Weight throwers Grant Cartwright and Joe Ellis enter the NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships (March 10-11) ranked top-eight nationally.
Last Updated: June 30, 2017
• School record-holder in the weight throw (23.31m / 76-5.75)
• USTFCCCA First-Team All-American (2017, indoor weight throw)
• USTFCCCA Honorable Mention (2017, outdoor shot put)
• 2017 Big Ten Indoor Champion (weight throw)
• USTFCCCA Great Lakes Region Indoor Field Athlete of the Year (2017)
• Big Ten Indoor Field Athlete of the Year (2017)
• U-M Athletic Academic Achievement Award winner (2014)
Redshirt Junior (2017)
• Earned USTFCCCA Honorable Mention status in the NCAA Outdoor Championships (June 7) shot put with a 22nd-place finish at 18.21m (59-9).
• Qualified to the NCAA Outdoor Championships in the Shot Put with a mark of 18.87m (61-11) to finish 8th at the NCAA East Prelims (May 25-27). Also finished 22nd in the hammer throw at 63.55m (208-6) and 24th in the discus at 54.16m (177-8).
• Scored 16 points at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships (May 12-14). Threw a career-best 58.23m (191-0) to finish 3rd in the discus, threw a career-best 65.10m (213-7) to finish fourth in the hammer throw and threw a season's best 18.94m (62-1.75) to take fourth in the shot put.
• Threw a career-best 64.68m (212-2) in the Hammer Throw to finish 2nd at the Longhorn Invitational (Apr. 28-29). Also finished 2nd in the shot put at 18.45m (60-6.5) and 3rd in the discus at 55.01m (180-6).
• Threw 51.99m (170-7) in the discus to finish 4th at the Texas Invitational (Apr. 14-15), and also threw a career-best 64.11m (210-4) to finish 7th in the hammer.
• Threw a career-best and Morris Williams Stadium-record 55.40m (181-9) in the discus to win the event title at the Battle of the Blues (Apr. 1). Also finished runner-up in both the shot put (18.05m / 59-2.75) and the hammer throw (60.16m / 197-4).
• Earned national runner-up honors with a mark of 22.70m (74-5.75) in the Weight Throw to finish 2nd at the NCAA Indoor Championships (Mar. 10-11).
• Threw a school-record 23.31m (76-5.75) in the Weight Throw to win the event title at the Big Ten Indoor Championships (Feb. 24-25), breaking the school record for the second time of the day on his final attempt after throwing 22.25m on his fifth. Also finished 10th in the shot put.
• Threw a career-best 21.29m (69-10.25) in the Weight Throw to finish 2nd at the Spire Invitational (Feb. 10-11). Also finished runner-up in the shot put with a mark of 18.50m (60-8.5).
• Threw 18.69m (61-4) in the Shot Put to win at the Akron Invitational (Feb. 3-4) in the Gold Division competition. Also threw a career-best 20.99m (68-10.5) to finish runner-up in the Gold Division weight throw.
• Threw 18.20m (59-8.5) in the Shot Put to finish 2nd at the Notre Dame Invitational (Jan. 21). Also threw a career-best 20.48m (67-2.25) as one of three throws past his prior weight throw PR on the day.
• Won the shot put title at the Simmons-Harvey Invitational (Jan. 14) with a heave of 18.32m (60-1.15) and threw 20.09m (65-11) in the weight throw to finish runner-up.
Redshirt Sophomore (2016)
• At the NCAA East Preliminary Round (May 26, 28), competed in the discus and shot put, finishing 18th in the shot put at 17.77 meters (58-3.75 ft.) and 44th in the discus at 45.75 meters (150-1 ft.)
• Scored twice by placing fifth in both the shot put (PR 19.17 meters; 62-10.75 ft.) and discus (PR 54.97 meters; 180-04 ft.) and climbing into the top-5 all-time at U-M in both events
• Threw the discus (50.77 meters; 166-7 ft.) and finished runner-up in the shot put (18.02 meters (59-1.5 ft.) at the Texas State Bobcat Classic (April 30)
• Threw the discus at the Jesse Owens Classic (April 22-23)
• Competed in three events at the Tiger Track Classic (April 8-9), finishing second in the shot put while setting a new outdoor PR (at the time) of 18.44 meters (60-6 ft.), finishing fifth in the discus with a throw of 51.03 meters (167-5 ft.), and finishing 10th in the hammer throw with a throw of 56.50 meters (185-4.25 feet)
•Competed in the Battle of the Blues (March 31), winning the shot put with a throw 18.35 meters (60-2.5), finishing fourth in the discus with a throw of 48.40 meters (158-9.5 ft.), and second in the hammer throw with a PR throw of 60.51 meters (198-6.25 ft.)
• Competed at the Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Invite (March 25-26), finishing second in the shot put with a throw of 18.28 meters (59-11.75 ft.), ninth in the hammer throw with a debut of 57.36 meters (188-02.25 ft.), and sixth in the discus with a throw of 52.38 meters (171-20.25 ft.)
• Competed in both the shot put and weight throw at the Big Ten Championships (Feb. 26-27), throwing 20.01 meters (65-7.75 ft.)
• Competed in the shot put and weight throw at the SPIRE NCAA D1 Invitational (Feb. 13), finishing third and fifth respectively, setting new PRs in both events with throws of 18.94 meters (62-01.75 ft.) in the shot put and 19.54 meters (64-08 ft.) in the weight throw
• Finished tenth in the discus throw and sixth in the weight throw at the Akron Invitational (Feb. 6) with throws of 48.36 meters (158-08 feet) in the discus, and 18.95 meters (62-02.25 feet) in the weight throw
• Scored for U-M in the weight throw, placing sixth with a throw of 18.75 meters (61-6.25 ft.) at the Notre Dame Invitational (Jan. 23)
• Finished third in the weight throw (17.86m, 58-07.25 ft.) at the Doug Raymond Invitational (Jan. 16)
• Finished second in the weight throw garnering a 18.52 meters (60-09.25 ft.) at the Hillsdale Winter Opener (Jan. 9)
• Competed in the weight throw, finishing ninth at 18.35 meters (60-2.50 ft.) at the GVSU Holiday Open (Dec. 4) while also achieving an indoor collegiate best in the shot put with 17.54 meters (57-06.5 ft.) for fourth place
Redshirt Freshman (2015)
• Won his flight and finished 12th overall in the shot put at the Big Ten Championships (May 15-17), nearing a PR with his throw of 57-7.50 ft. (17.51m); also finished 18th in the discus (165-8.50 ft.; 50.50m)
• Threw 158-11 ft. (48.43m) to finish eighth in the discus at the Toledo Collegiate Invitational (May 7-8)
• Claimed eighth in the shot put and 14th place in the discus at the adidas/Steve Scott Invitational (May 1-2)
• Finished fourth in the shot put (55-1.5 ft.; 18.60m) and won the discus (161-04 ft.; 49.18m) at Gina Relays (April 24-25)
• Took third in the first section of the shot put at UVA Challenge (April 17-18), throwing 57-6.5 ft. (17.43m), and also finished 14th in the discus
• Finished runner-up in the shot put and sixth in the discus at the CAL-UVA Tri Meet (April 3-4)
• Made his outdoor debut at the Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Challenge (March 27-28), taking eighth in both the shot put and discus
• Made his Big Ten Championships debut (Feb. 27-28) in the shot put
• Finished fourth at U-M's Silverston Invitational (Feb. 21), throwing 55-2.25 ft. (16.82m)
• Threw a mark of 54-10 ft. (16.71m) at the Iowa State Classic (Feb. 14)
• Made his discus debut at the Akron Invitational (Feb. 7), where he also competed in the shot put
• Finished seventh in the weight throw (49-1.50 ft.; 14.97m) and sixth in the shot put (52-9.50 ft; 16.09m) at the Dual Meet vs. Michigan State (Jan. 31)
• Made his Wolverine debut at the Simmons-Harvey Invitational (Jan. 17), throwing 54-8 ft. (16.66m)
• Graduated from Olentangy Liberty High School (2013)
• National Honor Society
• All-Ohio Academic
• Nine-time Scholar Athlete
Track & Field
• No. 1 ranked junior discus thrower in nation (Class of 2017)
• State champion in the discus (2012)
• Two-time All-State in the discus (2011, '12)
• Three-time All-Region in the shot put (2010-12)
• School record holder in the shot put and discus
• Missed his senior season due to a back injury
• Enrolled in College of Literature, Science and the Arts
• Undeclared major
• Born on Nov. 19, 1994
• Son of Guy and Denise Cartwright
Other Sports Played
• Also participated in football and wrestling
High School Personal Bests
Discus -- 195-0
Shot Put -- 57-9
|Shot Put (I)||18.94m (62-1.75)||2-13-15|
|Shot Put (O)||19.17m (62-10.75)||5-15-16|
|Discus (O)||58.23m (191-0)||5-14-17|
|Weight Throw (I)||23.31m (76-5.75)||2-25-17|
|Hammer Throw (O)||65.10m (213-7)||5-12-17|