April 23, 2011
Site: Ypsilanti, Mich. (Olds-Marshall Track at Rynearson Stadium)
Event: EMU Twilight (Day 2 of 2)
U-M Team Result: No Team Scoring
Next U-M Event: Thu-Sat., April 28-30 -- at Penn Relays (Philadelphia, Pa.), 9 a.m.
YPSILANTI, Mich. -- Four event winners from the University of Michigan men's track and field team highlighted the two-day Eastern Michigan Twilight Invitational, which concluded on Saturday (April 23) at Olds-Marshall Track.
Rain and wind had an impact on the competition on Friday (April 22), but the Wolverines found a spark in the 400-meter hurdles. Redshirt freshman Troy Sneller (Hamilton, Mich./Hamilton) won the event, crossing the finish line at 53.21. The event was also the return of outdoor captain Carl Buchanon (South Bend, Ind./Clay), who competed in his first meet in three months and finished with a time of 56.02. It was Buchanon's first competition since the Simmons-Harvey Invitational on Jan. 22.
Redshirt sophomore Matthew Campbell (Rochester, Mich./Rochester) continued his outdoor season surge with another strong performance on Saturday, winning the 400-meter dash (48.00). Senior Nick McCampbell (Detroit, Mich./Cass Tech) tied for second with Herman Washington (Blacklick, Ohio/Gahanna Lincoln) in the 110-meter hurdles (14.51), with McCampbell also taking 12th in the 200-meter dash (22.49). Sophomore Aaron Taylor (Rochester Hills, Mich./Adams) also had a strong afternoon, winning the 200-meter dash (21.71) and finishing fifth in the 100-meter dash (11.05).
Freshmen were on display in the field throughout the weekend. Cody Riffle (Toledo, Ohio/St. John's Jesuit), won the discus (172-0 ft.), Ethan Dennis (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grandville) finished third in the hammer throw (career high 179-3 ft.), Ed Hur (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Andover) finished fourth in the long jump (21-8 3/4 ft.) and Bradley James (East Lansing, Mich./Haslett) was third in the high jump (6-6 3/4 ft.).
Sophomore Simon Wenet (Seattle, Wash./Seattle Academy) was seventh in the javelin throw (147-4 ft.).
The Wolverines turn their focus to the historic Penn Relays, running from Thursday (April 28) through Saturday (April 30) in Philadelphia, Pa. The meet will begin at 9 a.m. each morning.
Event Winners/U-M Finishers (Day 2)
1. Cody Riffle, U-M 52.43m (172-0 ft.)
15. Joe Strizich, U-M 35.89m (117-9 ft.)
16. Kurt Reichenbach, U-M 32.27m (105-10 ft.)
1. Ja'Quan Patterson, Detroit-Mercy 6.93m (22-9 ft.)
4. Ed Hur, U-M 6.62m (21-8 3/4 ft.)
24. Frank Shotwell, U-M 4.27m (14-0 1/4 ft.)
1. Xavier Clais, Amiens 2.10m (6-10 3/4 ft.)
3. Bradley James, U-M 2.00m (6-6 3/4 ft.)
1. Ben Charbonneau, Lake Superior St. 57.64m (189-1 ft.)
7. Simon Wenet, U-M 44.90m (147-4 ft.)
1. Jeff Porter, Unattached 13.70
T2. Nick McCampbell, U-M 14.51
Herman Washington, U-M 14.51
6. Erick Gavin, U-M 14.81
12. Kurt Reichenbach, U-M 15.64
1. Matthew Campbell, U-M 48.00
8. Kurt Reichenbach, U-M 50.62
15. Frank Shotwell, U-M 52.54
1. Clint Allen, EMU 10.67
5. Aaron Taylor, U-M 11.05
1. Aaron Taylor, U-M 21.71
12. Nick McCampbell, U-M 22.49
34. Erick Gavin, U-M 23.53
1. Joe Tesner, EMU 4.90m (16-0 3/4 ft.)
2. Taylor Voice, U-M 4.80m (15-9 ft.)
5. Frank Shotwell, U-M 4.65m (15-3 ft.)
9. Kurt Reichenbach, U-M 4.35m (14-3 1/4 ft.)
-- Joe Strizich, U-M NH
Previous Results: Day One
Contact: Brad Rudner (734) 763-4423