Aug. 31, 2012
Site: Dexter, Mich. (Hudson Mills Metropark)
Meet: Michigan Open (5,000 Meters)
U-M Team Finish: Non-scoring
Top U-M Individual: James Yau, 2nd (16:02)
Next U-M Event: Friday, Sept. 14 -- at Spartan Invitational (Urbana, Ill.), 12:35 p.m.
DEXTER, Mich. -- The University of Michigan men's cross country team commenced the 2012 season with the annual Michigan Open on Friday (Aug. 31) at Hudson Mills Metropark. Junior/sophomore James Yau (Troy, Mich./Troy) was the first Wolverine to cross the finish line, taking second place with a 5,000-meter time of 16:02.
Four runners who redshirted last season made their collegiate debut, each finishing within the top 10. Sophomore/freshman Jeff Sattler (Byron Center, Mich./Byron Center) placed fourth in a time of 16:26, followed by fellow sophomore/freshmen Scotty Albaugh (Waterford, Mich./Waterford Mott) and Nick Posada (Winter Park, Fla./Winter Park) in a time of 16:34 and 16:35, receptively. Sophomore/freshman Scott Dvorak (Westmont, Ill./Westmont) rounded out the five-man Michigan unit, finishing 10th in a time of 17:03.
The Wolverines will take a week off from competition before traveling to in-state rival Michigan State for the Spartan Invitational on Sept. 14. The meet will be a preview of the Big Ten Championships, which will be hosted by Michigan State on Oct. 28.
Complete Results (5,000 meters)
1. Matt Popielarz, Unattached 16:00
2. James Yau, U-M 16:02
3. William Yau, Unattached 16:23
4. Jeff Sattler, U-M 16:26
5. Scotty Albaugh, U-M 16:34
6. Nick Posada, U-M 16:35
7. Jordan Eccleston, Michigan Track Club 16:36
8. Ben Griessmann, Unattached 16:45
9. Justin Waraniak, Michigan Track Club 16:51
10. Scott Dvorak, U-M 17:03
11. Garrett Cullen, Michigan Track Club 17:11
12. Brian Dobmeier, Unattached 17:15
13. Buddy Herkenham, Unattached 17:24
14. Thomas Noel, Michigan Track Club 17:43
15. Randy Emens, Unattached 18:31
16. Josh Belt, Unattached 18:32
17. Dante Michael, Michigan Track Club 21:14
Contact: Whitney Dixon (734) 763-4423