Sept. 28, 2013
• Photo Gallery
Site: Stillwater, Okla. (Oklahoma State University Cross Country Course)
Meet: Cowboy Jamboree (8,000 Meters)
U-M Team Finish: 3rd Place of 10 Teams (83 points)
Top U-M Individual: Mason Ferlic, 8th (24:49.77)
Next U-M Event: Friday, Oct. 4 -- at Notre Dame Blue and Gold Invitational (South Bend, Ind.), 5 p.m.
STILLWATER, Okla. -- The 28th-ranked University of Michigan men's cross country team finished third with 83 points at the 76th annual Cowboy Jamboree on Saturday (Sept. 28), as its five scorers each finished in the top 25, within a 22-second split. Top-ranked Oklahoma State defended its home course, winning the race with 29 points, while Northern Arizona took second with 57 points at the Oklahoma State University Cross Country Course.
It marked the season debut for Michigan's top eight runners, including junior Mason Ferlic (St. Paul, Minn./Mounds Park Academy), who led the Wolverines, finishing eighth in a time of 4:49.77.
Seniors Morsi Rayyan (Dewitt, Mich./St. Johns) and Mark Beams (Vicksburg, Mich./Vicksburg) finished just .50 seconds apart in their first race of the season, placing 16th and 18th, respectively, in times of 25:10.03 and 25:10.53.
Junior/sophomore August Pappas (Chelsea, Mich./Chelsea) crossed the finish line in 25:11.27 -- good for 20th place. In his collegiate debut, freshman Ben Flanagan (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada/St. Mary's HS) finished on Pappas' heels in a time of 25:12.26, to place 21st.
Freshman Cory Glines (Canton, Ohio/St. Thomas Aquinas), sophomore/freshman Nick Renberg (Saline, Mich./Saline) and freshman Connor Mora (Cedar Springs, Mich./Cedar Springs HS) also each made their collegiate debut in Maize and Blue, securing the 25th, 28th and 29th spots, respectively. Glines clocked a time of 25:15.02, while Renberg ran 25:17.02, and Mora stopped the watch at 25:22.03.
The Wolverines will be back in action next weekend when they travel to Notre Dame for the Blue and Gold Invitational on Friday (Oct. 4) at 5 p.m.
1. Oklahoma State 29
2. Northern Arizona 57
3. MICHIGAN 83
4. Texas Tech 114
5. Kentucky 131
6. Stephen F. Austin 172
7. Furman 180
8. Texas-Arlington 187
9. Oral Roberts 291
10. Abilene Christian 305
Top 10 Finishers
1. Kennedy Kithuka, Texas Tech 23:55.27
2. Kirubel Erassa, Oklahoma State 24:28.16
3. Shadrack Kipchirchir, Oklahoma State 24:28.55
4. Futsum Zienasellassie, Northern Arizona 24:30.67
5. Brian Shrader, Northern Arizona 24:32.53
6. Thomas Farrell, Oklahoma State 24:36.42
7. Joseph Manilafasha, Oklahoma State 24:47.67
8. MASON FERLIC, U-M 24:49.77
9. Caleb Hoover, Northern Arizona 24:58.02
10. Marcos Vallego, Texas Tech 25:00.77
Other Michigan Finishers
16. Morsi Rayyan, U-M 25:10.03
18. Mark Beams, U-M 25:10.53
20. August Pappas, U-M 25:11.27
21. Ben Flanagan, U-M 25:12.26
25. Cory Glines, U-M 25:15.02
28. Nick Renberg, U-M 25:17.02
29. Connor Mora, U-M 25:22.03
31. James Yau, U-M 25:34.52
41. George Kelly, U-M 25:55.27
44. Nick Posada, U-M 26:04.27
45. Scotty Albaugh, U-M 26:04.92
N O T E S
• Mason Ferlic competed in just one meet last season due to injury.
• Today's 8K race marked the season debut for the nine Wolverines -- Scotty Albaugh, Mark Beams, Mason Ferlic, Ben Flanagan, Cory Glines, Connor Mora, August Pappas, Morsi Rayyan, Nick Renberg.
• Freshmen Ben Flanagan, Cory Glines and Connor Mora, as well as sophomore/freshman Nick Renberg, each performed his collegiate debut today at the Cowboy Jamboree.
• Michigan's top five scorers each finished in the top 25, within a 22-second split.
• Michigan was one of three ranked teams competing, including No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 2 Northern Arizona and No. 28 Michigan.
Contact: Whitney Dixon (734) 763-4423