Message from the President
It's never been a better time to be a Michigan Wolverine Letterwinner. As this academic year comes to a close, we are in 1st place in the Director's Cup-a trophy celebrating the highest-achieving athletic program annually - which Stanford has won for nearly a decade. Our top-ranked has been driven by the outstanding performances of many teams including the National Championship-winning Men's Swim and Gymnastics Teams as well as our Basketball team's trip to the NCAA Finals for the first time in over 20 years. On top of that, there has been great progress by so many of our programs now on the upswing, including Baseball and Womens Basketball. I can't remember the last time both Baseball and Softball were in first place in the Big Ten, but as I sit here today in late April, that is exactly the case.
Like our varsity athletic teams, your Letterwinners M Club is also celebrating another terrific year of progress. So, what did we accomplish this past year with your support?
- Hit Record Membership Levels: We grew 11% to a record 1,900 dues-paying members who have consistently noted the progress that they have seen from our enhanced drive to provide value to our letterwinner alums. In addition, we have been effective in attracting women and more recent graduates in higher numbers than ever before.
- Achieved Record Financial Status: achieved greater fiscal stability with record cash balance of $280,000. This cash position affords us new opportunities as well as additional self-funded initiatives to be proposed for the coming year.
- Enhanced Alumni and Student Relations: developed, managed, hosted exclusive events -
- Alabama Kick Off Classic -- developed & managed exclusive, low cost weekend event - in Dallas for 320
- MSU Game Tailgate - Hosted extraordinary tailgate event for 400 that was sponsored by Stubbs BBQ of Texas
- ND Night Game Tailgate on Sept 7 - planning well underway for what should prove to be a memorable 2013 event
- Launched Regional Outreach program in NYC, Chicago to better connect our group of non-Michigan alums (70% of total)
- Conducted first customer satisfaction survey for our members
- Held the M Banner high for Baseball's April game vs. Penn State to give them the same "football team" experience
- Grand Hotel (Mackinac) Letterwinners Weekend in late August 2013 to allow an us to join together in a beautiful venue
- Expanded Tangible Member Benefits/ Value:
- Awarded first annual $10,000 Alumni Scholarship to Arianne Field for her full-time pursuit of a Columbia MBA
- Partnered with M Den to establish an exclusive line of Letterwinners merchandise to be launched in the Fall 2013
- Created popular M Banner merchandise available with M Den both on-line and in-store:
- High quality Banner towels and Banner Fatheads - which should be on sale as you read this newsletter
- Established M Den offering of exclusive Letterwinners apparel and other items now available via private internet site
- Launched single-game football ticket lottery program to encourage more to get back to campus
On the heels of this outstanding year, we have a lot more good planned for 2013-14. Here are some key things to expect in 2012-13:
Thank you for your terrific support this past year. We hope to see more of you in 2013-14! Come back and see us soon at www.letterwinnersmclub.com.
- We Will Increase Our Active, Dues-Paying Membership by 20% from 1,900 to 2,300
- Conduct High-Impact Events of Value for Our Members:
- Conduct Letterwinners BBQ Tailgate Party for ND Night Game on Sept 7
- Re-institute a bigger and better Student Letter Jacket Ceremony ala Note Dame --2H 2013
- Expand Regional Outreach: co-host cocktail party Letterwinners event in partnership with Athletic Dept
- Note: 30% of our alums live in Michigan; an equal 30% live in CA, IL, OH, FL, NY - we must re-engage with these alums outside of MI
- Expand Tangible Member Benefits:
- Launch unique and exclusive line of Letterwinners-only merchandise
- Identify new home for M Room that offers closer pre-game access for football/ basketball in a warm, proud Michigan-tradition-laden setting with first-class amenities
- Enhance Alumni and Student Relations:
- Improve ability to mentor, career-develop, and job-place our current student athletes so they stay better connected and they have a career lined up prior to graduation
President, Letterwinners M Club