Nov. 4, 2010
• Boxscore | Notes & Quotes | Photo Gallery | Big Ten Tournament Bracket
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Thomas Athletic Complex)
Score: #11 Michigan 2, Iowa 0
Records: U-M (13-6), Iowa (3-14)
Next U-M Match: Friday, Nov. 5 -- vs. Penn State - Big Ten Tournament Semifinals (Evanston, Ill.), 2 p.m. CDT (TV: Big Ten Network)
EVANSTON, Ill. -- The No. 11-ranked University of Michigan field hockey team used second-half goals from junior Bryn Bain (Berlin, N.J./Eastern Regional) and senior Alicia Mayer (Selinsgrove, Pa./Selinsgrove) to defeat Iowa, 2-0, in the opening round of the 2010 Big Ten Tournament on Thursday (Nov. 4) at the Thomas Athletic Complex.
Michigan, the second seed in the tournament, advances to the semifinals for the first time since 2007 and will play tomorrow (Friday, Nov. 5) at 2 p.m. CDT against No. 3 seed Penn State live on the Big Ten Network.
Michigan had a 6-0 shot advantage in the first half, but both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless draw. The best chance for the Wolverines in the first 35 minutes came in the 12th minute on a shot from freshman Rachael Mack (Bromsgrove, England/Bromsgrove School) that hit the post. Senior Zara Saydjari (Skowhegan, Maine/Skowhegan Area) had U-M's only shot on goal in the first half in the third minute.
Michigan came out on the attack to start the second half, scoring on its third shot of the half at 37:58. Bain netted her third goal of the season when she took a pass from Mack in the middle of the circle and beat Hawkeye goalie Kathleen McGraw to the left post.
U-M added to its lead at 60:45 on its sixth penalty corner of the game. Mayer looked like she scored on an original deflection, but the shot hit the post. She then gathered the rebound and beat McGraw to the near post for her 10th goal of the year. Michigan ended the game with a 13-0 shot and 6-0 corner advantage.
Scoring, Time (Assist)
2nd -- U-M, Bryn Bain, 37:58 (Rachael Mack)
2nd -- U-M, Alicia Mayer, 60:45 (unassisted)
Shots: U-M 13, IOWA 0
Saves: U-M 0 (Christi Barwick), IOWA 3 (Kathleen McGraw)
Defensive Saves: U-M 0, IOWA 0
Penalty Corners: U-M 6, IOWA 0
N O T E S
• Michigan advances to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament for the first time since 2007. The Wolverines defeated Penn State, 3-2, in that semifinal game.
• Michigan now owns a 4-3 lead on Iowa in Big Ten Tournament play.
• Michigan now has a 15-12 all-time record in the Big Ten Tournament.
• Michigan defeated Iowa 2-0 both during the regular season and in the Big Ten Tournament.
• Mayer now leads the Wolverines with 28 points. She leads Mack by one point.
• Michigan defeated Penn State 2-0 on Sept. 26 and Indiana 5-2 on Oct. 30 during the regular season.
• Christi Barwick made her first start since Sept. 10 against James Madison in today's game. She did not face a shot in recording her first shutout of the season.
Q U O T E S
Michigan Head Coach Marcia Pankratz
On today's win over Iowa ... "Well, Iowa is a really outstanding team so we had to be super prepared and play a lot of disciplined hockey today. I thought we did that. I think our passing was strong. We had a lot of two-touch, a lot of small game and simple play, which led to the team attack and good team defense."
On the key to success for tomorrow ... "I think sticking to team defense. We need play a simple game, play a passing game, play unrelenting defense and hopefully that combination will work well for us."
Contact: Kent Reichert (734) 763-4423