Nov. 21, 2009
Site: West Lafayette, Ind. (Boilermaker Aquatic Center)
Event: Purdue Invitational (Day 2 of 3)
Results: 1st of Six Teams (523.5 pts)
Next U-M Event: Sunday, Nov. 22 -- at Purdue Invitational - Day Three (West Lafayette, Ind.), 10 a.m./4 p.m.
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- The No. 19-ranked University of Michigan women's swimming and diving team maintained its first-place lead over the six-team field after day two of the Purdue Invitational on Saturday (Nov. 21) at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center. Michigan has scored 523.5 points in two days, increasing its lead to 16 points over second-place Louisville.
The first individual event of the night was the 100-yard butterfly, with Wolverines occupying the first three spots in dominant fashion. Senior Margaret Kelly (Ann Arbor, Mich./Pioneer) took first, with sophomores Alexa Mehesan (West Des Moines, Iowa/Valley) and Caitlin Dauw (St. Charles, Ill./East) claiming second and third, respectively. All three earned NCAA 'B' times, including the first of the season for both Mehesan and Dauw.
The Wolverines swept both relay races Saturday, shattering both previous season team highs. The 800-yard freestyle relay team consisting of fifth-year senior Emily Brunemann (Crescent Springs, Ky./Notre Dame Academy), Kelly and sophomores Liz Koselka (Ann Arbor, Mich./Pioneer) and Kristyne Cole (Ann Arbor, Mich./Pioneer) touched the wall with a time of 7:16.32 -- an NCAA 'B' mark -- well ahead of the previous mark (7:31.22) set by the same foursome on Oct. 30 against Texas and Indiana.
Freshman Mattie Kukors (Auburn, Wash./Mountainview) returned to the pool for the first time in a month. In her first race back, Kukors earned a 'B' mark in the 400-yard individual medley and narrowly missed another one later in the night in the 100-yard backstroke. Fellow freshman Julia Andracki (Arlington Heights, Ill./Prospect) was Michigan's other freshman to earn a 'B' mark, in the 100-yard breaststroke.
In the diving well, sophomore Amanda Lohman (Pittsburgh, Pa./Upper St. Clair) was once again Michigan's top diver, taking fourth place on the one-meter board. Senior Stephanie O'Callaghan (Howell, Mich./Howell) scored points for the Wolverines via an eighth-place finish.
Michigan looks to maintain its lead in the final day of competition tomorrow (Sunday, Nov. 22) at the Purdue Invitational. Preliminaries kick off at 10 a.m. with the finals beginning at 4 p.m.
Standings (After Day Two)
1. MICHIGAN 523.5
2. Louisville 507.5
3. Arkansas 397
4. Purdue 370
5. Ohio State 311
6. Missouri State 127
Event Winners/U-M Finishers (After Day Two)
Preliminary time in parenthesis if faster than final time
200-yard Medley Relay
1. MICHIGAN 1:39.87#
(Margaret Kelly, Julia Andracki,
Caitlin Dauw, Natasha Moodie)
7. MICHIGAN 1:44.16
(Liz Johnson, Melissa Lang,
Alexa Mehesan, Leigh Cole)
11. MICHIGAN 1:46.88
(Mattie Kukors, Valerie Barthelemy,
Lori Morton, Liz Koselka)
400-yard Individual Medley
1. Yi-Tang Siow, Arkansas 4:13.67#
3. Emily Brunemann, U-M 4:16.40# (4:15.08#)
4. Mattie Kukors, U-M 4:16.55#
11. Valerie Barthelemy, U-M 4:23.91
13. Claire Tyler, U-M 4:24.37 (4:24.26)
1. Margaret Kelly, U-M 53.36# (53.07#)
2. Alexa Mehesan, U-M 54.00#
3. Caitlin Dauw, U-M 54.24#
8. Lori Morton, U-M 56.92 (55.90)
10. Ashley Cohagen, U-M 56.16 (55.93)
17. Keenan Koss, U-M 56.97
21. Julia Andracki, U-M 58.01 (57.35)
1. Sam Cheverton, Ohio State 1:47.62#
10. Kristyne Cole, U-M 1:50.66
11. Liz Koselka, U-M 1:50.82
12. Kally Fayhee, U-M 1:51.93 (1:51.73)
23. Deirdre Jones, U-M 1:54.65 (1:53.77)
1. Therese Bergstrom, Louisville 1:01.35#
3. Julia Andracki, U-M 1:02.58#
10. Melissa Lang, U-M 1:04.35
16. Natasha Moodie, U-M 1:05.93 (1:05.28)
26. Valerie Barthelemy, U-M 1:07.34p
1. Eszter Povazsay, Louisville 54.65#
3. Mattie Kukors, U-M 55.84 (55.79)
5. Liz Johnson, U-M 56.32 (55.80)
7. Leigh Cole, U-M 57.03 (56.76)
8. Ashley Cohagen, U-M 57.18 (57.12)
17. Alexa Mehesan, U-M 56.70
800-yard Freestyle Relay
1. MICHIGAN 7:16.32#
(Emily Brunemann, Margaret Kelly,
Liz Koselka, Kristyne Cole)
6. MICHIGAN 7:26.68
(Mattie Kukors, Kally Fayhee,
Leigh Cole, Emily Hanson)
1. Hannah Gadd, Louisville 303.55
4. Amanda Lohman, U-M 298.15
8. Stephanie O'Callaghan, U-M 277.95
12. Caitlin Dunphy-Daly, U-M 244.50p
# NCAA 'B' Qualifying mark
p Preliminary time
Previous Results: Day One
N O T E S
After earning four event wins and five NCAA 'B' marks Friday, the Wolverines maintained the momentum Saturday by securing three more event wins (two relays) and eight more 'B' marks.
Michigan swimmers have earned 13 NCAA 'B' qualifying times through two days of action and won seven races (three relays).
The Wolverines earned new team season highs in each event from Saturday.