Jan. 15, 2013
Friday, Jan. 18 -- vs. No. 15 Ohio State (Canham Natatorium), 5 p.m.
Free Admission | Live Results
Statistics: Top Times | Diving Bests
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter
Facility: Canham Natatorium
The No. 25-ranked University of Michigan women's swimming and diving team (2-4, 2-2 Big Ten) competes inside Canham Natatorium for the first time since early October on Friday (Jan. 18) when it hosts No. 15 Ohio State (6-1) at 5 p.m. Admission is free.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
200-yard Medley Relay
200-yard Individual Medley
400-yard Freestyle Relay
BIG TEN RANKINGS
Freshman Marni Oldershaw continues to hold the conference's best time in the 200-yard individual medley. She is also ranked fourth in the 400-yard individual medley. Other top performers include senior Adrienne Bicek, who is ranked in the top 10 in three races (500-yard freestyle, 1,650-yard freestyle and 400-yard individual medley), and senior Julia Andracki, who ranks second in the 200-yard breaststroke.
• Michigan is 20-3 all-time against Ohio State. The Buckeyes won two of the last three meetings, including a 164.5-132.5 win last season in Columbus, Ohio. One of Ohio State's strongest events is the 100-yard backstroke, as seniors Kelsey Moran, Lauren Massey and Emily Creran have all automatically qualified for the NCAA Championships.
• U-M is ranked No. 25 in the most-recent poll released by the College Swimming Coaches Association of America (CSCAA), released Jan. 17. Ohio State is ranked No. 15. [ Poll ]
• The Wolverines have achieved 17 NCAA consideration times and six NCAA Zone Diving qualifying scores so far this season.
• The Wolverines are 2-2 against Big Ten teams this season, with wins over Wisconsin (157-143 on Sept. 29) and Northwestern (192-108 on Jan. 12) and losses to Minnesota (196-99 on Oct. 5) and Indiana (223-77 on Oct. 26). Ohio State will be the fifth ranked team Michigan will face this season. Texas is ranked No. 7, Minnesota is ranked No. 13, Notre Dame is ranked No. 19 and Indiana is ranked No. 22.
• Michigan is getting a midseason boost from its freshmen class. Marni Oldershaw is a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week recipient and finished second in two races (200-yard butterfly, 200-yard individual medley) against Notre Dame and Northwestern last weekend. Two other freshmen hold team-best times this season, including Zoe Mattingly in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle and Ali DeLoof in the 100-yard backstroke.
LAST TIME OUT
Deirdre Jones (100-yard freestyle) and Adrienne Bicek (400-yard freestyle) each won events to highlight Michigan's split of a tri-meet against Northwestern (W, 192-108) and No. 21 Notre Dame (L, 185-115). [ Recap ]
Friday, Jan. 25 -- at Michigan State (East Lansing, Mich.), 6 p.m.
Contact: Brad Rudner (734) 763-4423