Feb. 11, 2011
Site: Allendale, Mich. (Laker Turf Building)
Event: GVSU Big Meet
U-M Team Result: No Team Scoring
Next U-M Event: Saturday, Feb. 12 -- at Akron Invitational - Day Two (Akron, Ohio), 10 a.m.
ALLENDALE, Mich. -- Sophomores Rebecca Addison (Spring Lake, Mich./Grand Haven) and Jillian Smith (Manahawkin, N.J./Southern Regional) posted NCAA automatic times in the 800-meter run as the University of Michigan women's track and field team completed competition at the GVSU Big Meet on Friday (Feb. 11) at Laker Turf Building.
Addison won the 800 in a PR time of 2:03.79, missing Geena Gall's (2006-09) school record of 2:03.37 by .42. Smith closely followed in 2:04.20, also a new personal record, as the duo became the first Wolverines to post NCAA automatic times in an individual event this season.
Senior Danielle Tauro (Manahawkin, N.J./Southern Regional) continued Michigan's season-long success in the mile run, winning in 4:44.19, with freshman Taylor Pogue (Goodrich, Mich./Goodrich) finishing runner-up in 4:47.27 and freshman Alex Leptich (Ann Arbor, Mich./Saline) placing eighth (4:52.83) to round out Michigan's top-10 finishers.
U-M picked up two victories in the sprints, with fifth-year senior Alisha Cole (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac)
winning the 200-meter dash in 24.24 to set a new personal record. Junior Julian Purvis (Oakland, Calif./St. Elizabeth) won the 60-meter hurdles in 8.39 and freshman Amber Smith (Cleveland, Ohio/Collinwood) took third place (8.71).
In the 4x400-meter relay, the quartet of Amber Smith, senior Jennifer Neville (Dearborn, Mich./Divine Child), Addison and Jillian Smith combined for a time of 3:44.92 to finish second in the final event of the evening.
Competing in the pentathlon for the first time in 2011, redshirt sophomore Tofunmi Akeredolu (Southfield, Mich./Lathrup) led four Wolverines in the top 10 with 3,323 points for fifth place. Freshman Erin Busbee (Cleveland, Ohio/Collinwood) took seventh (3,270) and freshman Taylor Moore-Willis (Southfield, Mich./Southfield) placed ninth (3,058) in their first collegiate pentathlon competition.
A small group of throwers will be in action tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 12) at the Akron Invitational.
Event Winners/U-M Finishers
400-meter Dash Invite
1. Valerie Brown, unatt. 53.19
5. Jennifer Neville, U-M 56.18
20. Alexandria Williams, U-M 57.56
800-meter Run Invite
1. Rebecca Addison, U-M 2:03.79*
2. Jillian Smith, U-M 2:04.20*
10. Megan Weschler, U-M 2:14.18
19. Chloe Prince, U-M 2:15.93
26. Monica Barnes, U-M 2:17.87
Mile Run Invite
1. Danielle Tauro, U-M 4:44.19
2. Taylor Pogue, U-M 4:47.27
8. Alex Leptich, U-M 4:52.83
17. Kaitlyn Peale, U-M 4:59.32
23. Kaitlyn Patterson, U-M 5:01.01
32. Lindsey Hilton, U-M 5:04.72
5,000-meter Run Invite
1. Lauren Kleppin, Western State 16:33.48
8. Mary Grace Pellegrini, U-M 17:09.83
200-meter Dash Invite
1. Alisha Cole, U-M 24.24
24. Ada Unachukwu, U-M 25.39
19. Charlotte Cahill, U-M 25.65
1. Uhunoma Osazua, unatt. 4,116
5. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 3,323
7. Erin Busbee, U-M 3,270
9. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 3,058
10. Sara Nitz, U-M 2,981
Pentathlon 60-meter Dash
1. Uhunoma Osazua, unatt. 8.52
3. Erin Busbee, U-M 9.19
4. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 9.20
8. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 9.61
10. Sara Nitz, U-M 10.23
Pentathlon High Jump
1. Uhunoma Osazua, unatt. 1.82m (5-11.5)
5. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 1.64m (5-04.5)
Sara Nitz, U-M 1.64m (5-04.5)
9. Erin Busbee, U-M 1.52m (4-11.75)
10. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 1.49m (4-10.5)
Pentathlon Shot Put
1. Erin Busbee, U-M 11.86m (38-11.00)
3. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 10.02m (32-10.50)
6. Sara Nitz, U-M 9.77m (32-00.75)
8. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 9.49m (31-10.75)
Pentathlon Long Jump
1. Uhunoma Osazua, unatt. 5.77m (18-11.25)
2. Erin Busbee, U-M 5.50m (18-00.50)
4. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 5.23m (17-02.00)
7. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 5.02m (16-05.75)
11. Sara Nitz, U-M 4.42m (14-06.00)
Pentathlon 800-meter Run
1. Chrystal Ruiz, Angelo State 2:20.74
7. Sara Nitz, U-M 2:37.11
8. Taylor Moore-Willis, U-M 2:37.65
10. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 2:44.98
11. Erin Busbee, U-M 2:56.07
600-meter Run Open
1. Amelia Bannister, Michigan St. 1:30.68
2. Brittani Williams, U-M 1:31.54
3. Alexandria Williams, U-M 1:31.76
Pole Vault Invite
1. Elizabeth Stover, Purdue 3.95m (12-11.50)
5. Kiley Tobel, U-M 3.70m (12-01.50)
4x400-meter Relay Invite
1. Purdue 3:43.49
2. MICHIGAN A 3:44.92
(Amber Smith, Jennifer Neville,
Rebecca Addison, Jillian Smith)
14. MICHIGAN B 3:58.69
(Charlotte Cahill, Danielle Tauro,
Alex Leptich, Ada Unachukwu)
26. MICHIGAN C 4:11.68
(Chloe Prince, Megan Weschler,
Taylor Pogue, Monica Barnes)
60-meter Hurdles Invite (Prelims)
1. Meredith Hayes, SIU 8.54q
2. Julian Purvis, U-M 8.57q
4. Amber Smith, U-M 8.80q
60-meter Hurdles Invite Finals
1. Julian Purvis, U-M 8.39
3. Amber Smith, U-M 8.71
60-meter Dash Inivte (Prelims)
1. Erica Mann, Michigan St. 7.55q
26. Amber Smith, U-M 7.87
30. Charlotte Cahill, U-M 7.97
* indicates NCAA automatic time
q indicates qualified for finals
N O T E S
Rebecca Addison and Jillian Smith were also part of Michigan's NCAA-qualifying DMR team. Smith, Addison and U-M's DMR team are Michigan's lone NCAA qualifiers to date.
Rebecca Addison's 800 time comes on the heels of her 2:04.4 split in the DMR at the Meyo Invitational.
The Wolverines have won the mile at all six competitions this season.
All of the sections U-M participated in tonight were invitational sections other than the 600-meter run.
Brittani Williams and Alexandria Williams both set new PRs in the 600-meter run.
Erin Busbee won the shot put in the pentathlon for Michigan's only pentathlon event win on the evening.
Contact: Sarah VanMetre (734) 763-4423