May 3, 2013
Site: Toledo, Ohio (Fetterman Outdoor Track and Field Facility)
Event: Toledo Invitational
U-M Team Result: Non-scoring
Next U-M Event: Fri-Sun., May 10-12 -- at Big Ten Championships (Columbus, Ohio), Noon, 9:30 a.m./11 a.m.
TOLEDO, OHIO -- The University of Michigan women's track and field team concluded the regular season on Friday and Saturday (May 2-3) at the Toledo Invitational. The Wolverines won five events and recorded 10 top-two performances throughout the two-day event at UT's Fetterman Outdoor Track and Field Facility.
Michigan's middle-distance and distance runners highlighted the meet, winning four events. The Wolverines claimed the top six spots in the 800-meter run, with the first five clocking personal-best times. Senior/junior Jillian Smith (Manahawkin, N.J./Southern Regional) (2:06:04) and sophomore/freshman Shannon Osika (Waterford, Mich./Mott) (2:07.17) crossed the finish line 1-2 with times that currently rank fourth and eighth, respectively, in the Big Ten. Smith's time also ranks 15th in the NCAA East Region.
Michigan also went 1-2 in the 3,000-meter run, as junior/sophomore Taylor Pogue (Goodrich, Mich./Goodrich) and senior/junior Lindsey Hilton (Rochester Hills, Mich./Adams) clocked times of 9:56.60 and 9:59.93, respectively.
Freshman Taylor Manett (Rockford, Mich./Rockford) won the 1,500-meter run with a personal-best time of 4:28.45.
Junior Megan Weschler (Wyandotte, Mich./Roosevelt) crossed the finish line in the 3,000-meter steeplechase just .47 seconds off her personal-best time to win the event in 10:38.64.
Junior Amber Smith (Cleveland, Ohio/Collinwood) won the 100-meter hurdles with a season-best time of 13.66, which is just .02 seconds off her personal-best time and ranks seventh in the Big Ten.
In the field, Michigan registered runner-up marks in the pole vault, high jump and discus.
Senior/junior Kiley Tobel (Commerce Twp., Mich./Walled Lake Western) finished second in the pole vault after clearing a height of 3.95 meters (12-11.5). Senior/junior Sara Nitz (Zeeland, Mich./Zeeland East) tied for second place with a high jump mark of 1.65 meters (5-5). In the discus, senior Erin Pendleton's (Lindsey, Ohio/Woodmore) throw of 50.66 meters (166-2) was good enough for second place.
The Wolverines will kick off the championship portion of their season at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships, which will be hosted by Ohio State University next Friday through Sunday (May 10-12).
Cindy Ofili -- 200m (24.08)
Charlotte Cahill -- 200m (24.21)
Jillian Smith -- 800m (2:06.04)
Shannon Osika -- 800m (2:07.17)
Amanda Eccleston -- 800m (2:07.38)
Brook Handler -- 800m (2:07.44)
Meg Bellino -- 800m (2:07.91)
Taylor Manett -- 1,500m (4:28.45)
Meghan Lark -- Pole Vault (3.20m, 10-6)
Event Winners/U-M Finishers
1. Amber Brown, Toledo 11.88
T3. Charlotte Cahill, U-M 11.96
1. Nicole Sassine, Windsor ON 23.96
3. Cindy Ofili, U-M 24.08
4. Charlotte Cahill, U-M 24.21
1. Andrea Arnold, Western Mich. 55.84
5. Maya Long, U-M 56.95
12. Chinyere Onimo, U-M 58.26
1. Jillian Smith, U-M 2:06.04
2. Shannon Osika, U-M 2:07.17
3. Amanda Eccleston, U-M 2:07.38
4. Brook Handler, U-M 2:07.44
5. Meg Bellino, U-M 2:07.91
6. Danielle Pfeifer, U-M 2:12.27
15. Brittany Robinson, U-M 2:23.37
1. Taylor Manett, U-M 4:28.45
3. Alex Leptich, U-M 4:36.98
1. Taylor Pogue, U-M 9:56.60
2. Lindsey Hilton, U-M 9:59.93
3. Nicola Hallenborg, U-M 10:14.84
1. Kaitlyn Belair, Unattached 18:08.21
3. Megan Pearson, U-M 19:11.22
1. Megan Weschler, U-M 10:38.64
1. Amber Smith, U-M 13.66
1. Noelle Montcalm, UWAC 56.85
5. Alexandria Williams, U-M 1:00.44
1. Bowling Green 'A' 3:44.58
5. MICHIGAN 'A' 3:50.30
(Meg Bellino, Danielle Pfeifer,
Brook Handler, Taylor Manett)
1. Robin Bone, Western Onta 4.05m (13-3.50)
2. Kiley Tobel, U-M 3.95m (12-11.50)
4. Victoria Wesley, U-M 3.65m (11-11.75)
9. Meghan Lark, U-M 3.20m (10-6)
1. Marsielle McBeam, Central Mich. 1.70m (5-7)
T2. Sara Nitz, U-M 1.65m (5-5)
1. Nia Henderson, Unattached 17.38m (57-0.25)
4. Elly Mioduszewski, U-M 13.72m (45-0.25)
1. Emily Pendleton, Unattached 53.12m (174-3)
2. Erin Pendleton, U-M 50.66m (166-2)
9. Kari Prena, U-M 44.43m (145-9)
1. Lydia Gomez-Diaz, Eastern Mich. 57.48m (188-7)
7. Joanna Fleming, U-M 48.22m (158-2)
1. Milica Kulidzan, Central Mich. 42.94m (140-10)
6. Elly Mioduszewski, U-M 37.91m (124-4)
Contact: Whitney Dixon (734) 763-4423