March 31, 2012
Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Canham Natatorium)
Score: #14 Indiana 8, #9 Michigan 7
Records: Michigan (16-10, 4-1 CWPA), Indiana (24-7, 5-1)
Next U-M Event: Friday, April 6 -- vs. George Washington (College Park, Md.), 6 p.m.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The ninth-ranked University of Michigan water polo team suffered its first CWPA Division defeat of the season, falling to Indiana, 8-7, on Saturday (March 31) inside Canham Natatorium.
The Wolverines held a 4-3 halftime lead but were unable to hold off the Hoosiers in the fourth quarter, allowing three goals in the final frame. After a timeout, Michigan trailed 8-7 and held an opportunity to tie the game with 11 seconds left. However, Ryanne O'Donnell's (Northbrook, Ill./New Trier) shot from the right side skipped short, allowing Indiana to hold the ball and drain the final seconds.
Five Wolverines recorded a score. Kelsey Nolan (San Jose, Calif./Leland) and Claire Ivry (Orinda, Calif./Miramonte) each added two goals apiece. Michigan drew three kickouts, with the defensive effort led by Kiki Golden (Danville, Calif./Monte Vista), who also tallied three steals, three assists and a score.
Goalkeeper Alex Adamson (Coronado, Calif./Coronado) played the entire game in the cage, finishing with three blocks and a steal.
After one quarter, the Wolverines led, 2-1. Hathaway Moore (Atherton, Calif./Saint Francis) started off the scoring for U-M at 7:29 (1-0) and Nolan added a goal at 0:29 (2-1) to help pace Michigan to an early lead.
Midway through the second quarter, Michigan extended its lead, 4-2, with two scores, behind a tally from Nolan and a backhand shot from Meagan Cobb (Hudsonville, Mich./Hudsonville). The Hoosiers closed the gap to one at halftime as U-M took a 4-3 advantage into the break.
In the third quarter, Michigan trailed 5-4, but Ivry scored on a floater at 2:34 to knot the score at five apiece.
To begin the final quarter, both teams traded goals in the first two minutes to even the score at six. Michigan then grabbed the lead when Golden hit a strike from two meters out to give U-M a 7-6 advantage.
Indiana answered back and with three minutes to go the score was knotted at seven. With 46 seconds to play, Indiana's Alexis Jones scored to put the Hoosiers up 8-7. Despite one final effort on the offensive end, the Wolverines were unable to convert on their final shot attempt.
Next, Michigan will travel College Park, Md., for a match against George Washington on Friday, April 6, and then the Wolverines will play Bucknell and Maryland on Saturday, April 7.
U-M Goals: Kelsey Nolan 2, Claire Ivry 2, Kiki Golden, Meagan Cobb, Hathaway Moore
IND Goals: Alexis Jones 2, Shae Fournier 2, Summer Creighton, Jackie Kohli, Amanda Redfern, Colleen McNaught
Saves: U-M 7 (Alex Adamson), IND 15 (Cassie Wyckoff)
Ejections: U-M 12, IND 9
N O T E S
• With the loss, Michigan suffers its first loss in the last 10 games. Michigan drops to 16-10 overall and 4-1 in CWPA Western Division play.
• U-M is now 12-1 this season in games that it led at halftime.
• This was the second matchup between Michigan and Indiana on the season, with Indiana taking the previous matchup 6-3 in the Wolverines' season opener.
• U-M is now 30-9-1 all-time against the Hoosiers.
• With the loss, goalkeeper Alex Adamson is now 11-9 on the year.
• Michigan finishes the season with an 8-3 at home, and now holds a 100-25-1 all-time mark at Canham Natatorium.
• Kelsey Nolan and Claire Ivry led the Wolverines in scoring with two goals each. Nolan scored at least once in both games against Indiana this season. Meagan Cobb, Kiki Golden and Hathaway Moore also contributed one goal apiece.
• For the first time in program history, Michigan held a 'Think Pink' game in order to help raise breast cancer awareness. The Wolverines wore blue and pink suits, pink caps and played with a pink ball.
• U-M and IU have now met in games televised by the Big Ten Network in three consecutive seasons. Michigan is now 2-2 in those games. The two schools are the only members from the Big Ten with varsity water polo programs.