April 27, 2012
Site: Providence, R.I. (Moran Coleman Aquatics Center)
Event: CWPA Eastern Championship (Quarterfinals)
Score: #10 Michigan 12, Bucknell 8
Records: Michigan (22-11), Bucknell (15-22)
Next U-M Event: Saturday, April 28 -- vs. Maryland - CWPA Eastern Championship Semifinals (Providence, R.I.), 7:20 p.m.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Kiki Golden (Danville, Calif./Danville) and Kelsey Nolan (San Jose, Calif./Leland) scored four and three goals, respectively, to help give the 10th-ranked University of Michigan water polo team the offensive edge to defeat Bucknell, 12-8, on Friday (April 27) in the CWPA Eastern Championship quarterfinals inside the Moran Coleman Aquatics Center.
Golden, who was named Player of the Game, led the Wolverines with four goals on five attempts, connecting two in each half and finishing with three steals and two assists. Nolan posted three goals on five attempts and tallied a steal, an assist and a drawn kickout.
Alex Adamson (Coronado, Calif./Coronado) recorded seven saves, three assists and a steal. Michigan rejected four Bison power-play shots, with Adamson blocking three of those attempts on net. The Wolverines also tallied eight drawn kickouts and 16 steals.
Golden put Michigan on the board first (7:36) and the Maize and Blue never relinquished the lead. Golden's second tally came in response to a Bison score (3:00) and U-M led 2-1 after the first.
U-M eased into its offense, outscoring Bucknell, 3-2, in the second. Dudley connected two strikes -- at 6:36 and at 2:37 -- to give Michigan a 4-2 advantage. After Bucknell scored with 1:16 remaining, Hathaway Moore (Atherton, Calif./Saint Francis) gave Michigan the momentum to close out the half with a score with 12 seconds remaining, as U-M led at the break, 5-3.
A 3-2 advantage in the third pushed U-M ahead, 8-5, after 24 minutes. During the quarter, Colton scored on a power play with 2:34 left, after Nolan and Golden connected on shots from the left side.
In the final frame, Colton added another (9-5), before Bucknell threatened with back-to-back opportunities, narrowing the Wolverines' lead to 9-7 with 6:15 left. Michigan replied with three goals -- two from Nolan and another from Golden. The 3-0 run was highlighted by Nolan's goal with 3:44 remaining when she chased down her missed shot from an attempt that ricocheted off the corner of the cage. Nolan gathered the rebound on the right side and beat a Bucknell defender to the ball before firing a backhand from three meters out for her hat trick.
Michigan cushioned the lead to secure the win despite a Bison goal in the final seconds.
Next, No. 1 seed Michigan will meet No. 4 seed Maryland in the semifinals on Saturday (April 28) at 7:20 p.m. inside the Moran Coleman Aquatics Center.
U-M Goals: Kiki Golden 4, Kelsey Nolan 3, Lauren Dudley 2, Lauren Colton 2, Hathaway Moore
BUCK Goals: Krystle Morgan 3, Amanda Skonezney 2, Becca Shopiro, Taylor Barnett, Julianne Valdes
Saves: U-M 7 (Alex Adamson), BUCK 8 (Rena Heim)
Ejections: U-M 9, BUCK 7
N O T E S
• With the win, Michigan moves to 22-11 overall on the year, 29-7 in CWPA Eastern Championship Tournament games, and 14-0 in the all-time series versus Bucknell.
• With the win, Alex Adamson is now 15-9 on the season, with 54 wins in the cage for second all-time at U-M.
• Kelsey Nolan recorded her sixth hat trick of the season with that many for her career.
• Kiki Golden registered four goals and a hat trick and now has eight hat tricks on the season.
• Kiki Golden recorded six points with four goals and two assists and moves to sixth all-time in points in a season with 99.
• Michigan held a 5-3 lead at the half and moves to 17-0 this season when leading at the break.
• Meagan Cobb tallied one assist, accounting for one point and is now 15 points shy of 200 career points.